Florida Fossil - Skull Fragment?

edd

Found this in a creek in Gainesville Florida,it looks like a part of a skull,maybe dugong?....... it wont let me upload a photo,ill try again later

post-1674-1242530814_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1242530831_thumb.jpg

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

I can't tell what it is based on morphology, but I can tell you that the bone isn't dense enough to be from a sirenian. It doesn't really look cetacean, but more views would be good.

Bobby

more photos

post-1674-1242577437_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1242577449_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1242577460_thumb.jpg

post-1674-1242577473_thumb.jpg

The internal bone structure, revealed where it is broken, reminds me of that of the whale verts we find along the Chesapeake Bay. I can't make any sense of the bone's shape in that context though.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I cant find anything similar with this kinda shape...not a vertebra,not pelvic bone,not a skull.i've been searching for 3 months now to see what it could be,with no luck.

I found a large chunk of mastodon tooth in one of the creeks a few weeks back.... If it's not cetacean, there's a possibility it's not quite as old as you think...perhaps Pleistocene. Just saying don't limit yourself to thinking it could only be whale/dugong.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

i dont know how old it is till i know what it is.

its very thick so it might be a chunk of bone from a mastodon or mammoth

This looks very much like a cetacean squamosal --- the piece of skull bone around the ear bone -- you find a lot of them at Lee Creek.

So is it or isnt a cetacean bone? :)

This looks very much like a cetacean squamosal --- the piece of skull bone around the ear bone -- you find a lot of them at Lee Creek.

edd: It would be a whale squamosal ---- a very nice specimen.

This is part of the petrosal, squamosal, exoccipital, and basioccipital of the baleen whale Herpetocetus. While it is fairly banged up, the posterior process of the petrosal is in place (albeit slightly damaged).

What age are the strata there at Gainesville? Pliocene? If so, this is probably from Herpetocetus transatlanticus. Herpetocetus has a really distinctive temporal region of the skull.

Bobby

i agree with bobby.

<looking around to see if anybody notices that i'm totally making up any semblance of knowing anything about this topic>

age of the strata here in Gainesville would be mostly Miocene....i have another piece just like this one here but a bit smaller and i posted it here as well too,thanks alot anyway,it was making me crazy :)

If it is late Miocene... then it could be Herpetocetus. If not, then at the very least, it is a herpetocetine whale closely allied with Herpetocetus (i.e. Metopocetus).

Bobby

Thanks

Really nice find!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

why is it a nice find when you find a lot of them at Lee Creek...:)

why is it a nice find when you find a lot of them at Lee Creek...:)

Okay then, Cant you find something better than that!!! :P How's that? Happy now.

Actually, its a nice find to me because I don't have one. It would still be a nice find even if I did because I enjoy collecting fossils. It doesn't have to be extraordinary for me to like it and give a compliment on it. I said it was nice not awesome, super cool, or this :drool: etc.....

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Why are you getting pissy missy? :)

Im not, you asked I answered. :mellow:

Believe me, when I get pissy the whole forum will know about it :D

Alfred North Whithead

Atleast we have the same hobbies :)