The Last Meal?

Frank Menser

Just picked up this specimen - both halves of a nodule from the Santana of Brazil. We are thinking this is most likely a Tharrhias, but certain details have raised a question. For one the scales are extremely comb-like, more so than any tharrhias I've seen. I sent photos to another friend who is a very knowledgeable collector and he also commented on their strangeness. The caudal is too corruped to confirm tail shape. Unfortunately the head also is incomplete.

What was really interesting was the odd bone visable in the lower belly region of this fish, giving a first impression of being attached to the ventral fin. I am wondering if this might be the remains of this fish's last meal?

post-1313-1242575654_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1242575600_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1242575553_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1242575500_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1242575467_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

The location of the mystery bone fragment looks to be almost subcutaneous, well away from the digestive tract.

Is it clear that it is/was inside the fish, and not simply associated?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It is present on both halves of the nodule. From its position it looks to me to be near the cloacia. Perhaps it was about to extrete this.

Be true to the reality you create.