Fossil Hunting On My Dad's Property

DChalo

We were supposed to go to the north sulfur river, but my dad told me he has a large creek on his property so we went there and look what found

My pictures are large files so i need to keep posting replies, so when i say i'm done start commenting

post-1654-1242586269_thumb.png

Reduce the size of your pictures first and you wont have any problems.

Nice finds where the creek at

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Guest solius symbiosus

Weird association??? Was the trilobite(Calymene) also found in the creek? It looks remarkably similar to some Silurian stuff that comes out of Morocco.

Weird association??? Was the trilobite(Calymene) also found in the creek?

yes, thats the thing, how can they be in the same creek? They are from different time periods right?

But they were found in different layers of rock, but still

Guest solius symbiosus

They can't be. One(trilobite) is Paleozoic, and the rest of the stuff is Mesozoic.

They can't be. One(trilobite) is Paleozoic, and the rest of the stuff is Mesozoic.

Wait, so how can that be?

Trust me, that trilobite came from Morocco.

i still dont understand....

Never mind

What about the other ones? Were they also dropped in on an airplane from moracco?

i still dont understand....

Never mind

What about the other ones? Were they also dropped in on an airplane from moracco?

Looks like someone baited the creek. That mosasaur looks to be from morocco. And the Trilo that you hold in your hand would have been in the matrix when found. You sure your Dad didnt bait the creek with the fossils??

I agree with Solius and Jax, looks like planted fossils to me. The Trilo, shark tooth and mosasuar tooth look like anything you can find on E-bay from Morocco.

Ebay Mosasaur Teeth from Morocco

Ebay Shark teeth from Morocco

Ebay Trilobite from Morocco

This is not to say that what you found isn't nice, but considering that everyone I've seen on here talk about the North Sulfur River has never shown the same assemblage of fossils that you found, I'm doubtful that they are local fossils. I've run into stuff that people have dumped at sites that don't fit the geology, it takes some practice to recognize what is and isn't from the area you are searching.

Do you belong to any local clubs? They might be able to help you locate a good area to search for local fossils.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nice fossils anyway although appear to not be native as the others have stated.

You might wanna set your camera's date cause it shows pics taken in 2006.

There is a setting in your camera where you can update to the current date.

I found mine had 2025 showing once.

Welcome to the forum!

Nice fossils anyway although appear to not be native as the others have stated.

You might wanna set your camera's date cause it shows pics taken in 2006.

There is a setting in your camera where you can update to the current date.

I found mine had 2025 showing once.

That just shows that you're a time traveler, Roz :D

I agree with everyone else....My first thoughts were the same as others, they're not native to the area.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png