Plant Fossil Preservation -douglas Pass

tomclark

I've collected at Douglas Pass, CO This is the exact spot http://www.dinoruss.com/SIU-course/Douglas...lass-pass2.html

When I brought all that rock back on the plane, hahahahaha!!!

Well, there have been some really great posts and pics about plant, fish fossils in sedimentary deposits lately here on this board and I thought I'd query the board.

What is a good way to "bring it out" more? I found myself trying to collect as many insects as possible in small pieces, but should have a good representation of what is found at that site in the plant department, too. These are not hard and can't be sandblasted or etched, LOL.

They have been wrapped in paper towels and newspaper in a sealed container. I saw that if you leave it out in the sun it will disappear rapidly! At least from that site they did. So these have not seen the light of day for several years. When I've taken a peak over the years they look good.

I was thinking of using the Gomer's solution on them but maybe something could be apllied or done to the fossil to take up some more pigment before sealing them. Plant and small insect.

Happy Hunting!

Douglas Pass Garfield CO At FAA radar site parking lot and nearby locations in 'Mahogany Ledge' of Parachute Creek member Eocene Green River abundant Fossil leaves,insects CO0098 This site is probably at 39.6383N,108.7616W about 4km N and W of Douglas Pass on the graded road that turns off from Douglas Pass behind the Public Works Garage.

Bring some HEAVY equipment to get the slabs. Big Timers use rock saws to cut out large rectangular slabs.

I've collected at Douglas Pass, CO This is the exact spot http://www.dinoruss.com/SIU-course/Douglas...lass-pass2.html

When I brought all that rock back on the plane, hahahahaha!!!

Well, there have been some really great posts and pics about plant, fish fossils in sedimentary deposits lately here on this board and I thought I'd query the board.

What is a good way to "bring it out" more? I found myself trying to collect as many insects as possible in small pieces, but should have a good representation of what is found at that site in the plant department, too. These are not hard and can't be sandblasted or etched, LOL.

They have been wrapped in paper towels and newspaper in a sealed container. I saw that if you leave it out in the sun it will disappear rapidly! At least from that site they did. So these have not seen the light of day for several years. When I've taken a peak over the years they look good.

I was thinking of using the Gomer's solution on them but maybe something could be apllied or done to the fossil to take up some more pigment before sealing them. Plant and small insect.

Happy Hunting!

Douglas Pass Garfield CO At FAA radar site parking lot and nearby locations in 'Mahogany Ledge' of Parachute Creek member Eocene Green River abundant Fossil leaves,insects CO0098 This site is probably at 39.6383N,108.7616W about 4km N and W of Douglas Pass on the graded road that turns off from Douglas Pass behind the Public Works Garage.

Bring some HEAVY equipment to get the slabs. Big Timers use rock saws to cut out large rectangular slabs.

McFall and Wollin in their book, FOSSILS FOR AMATEURS (1972) suggest yellow dextrin as a water-soluble, removable highlighter for invertebrates. You have to get it from a taxidermy supply house. I had to buy a 5lb bag of the stuff, which is still on a shelf here.

I've used it once or twice, but I don't really deal with a lot of inverts. You cannot highlight with this stuff and later consolidate the piece -- the yellow dextrin is soluble in acetone also and will wash off. I never tried consolidating, then highlighting with yellow dextrin dissolved in acetone -- might do some good.

-------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest N.AL.hunter

If I've understood your question correctly, I would recommend you try a cheap thing I was taught at the Coon Creek site in Tennessee. Using was of your less desirable pieces, try gently painting on Future Liquid acrylic floor wax. I have used it to protect carbonized ferns/plants and on leaves and insects. The liquid can be diluted, but I usually use it full strength. Some people might not like how shiny it makes things, but that can be dulled by gently wiping the surface with a finger before the liquid fully hardens. Just make sure to rub anything parallel to direction of veins/body segments...