Tooth Id - Deltadromeus Agilis?

Pitviper

Just made my first big fossil purchase, two teeth and a vertebrae from dinostore.com (recommended by a forum member). I ordered a spinosaur tooth and vert and a tooth from deltadromeus agilis.

... now I see on different site, deltadromeus teeth for more money and a warning to buyers about cheaper teeth on another site that are allegedly misidentified.

Now I'm already unsure about my purchase and I don't even have it in hand yet.

I'm ok if it's another species other than D.agilis, I just want to know what I really have. Can anyone confirm or deny the identity of this .7" tooth?

DSTRA34c.jpg

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

I'm no expert, having only studied photos of avian threapod teeth for comparison to those of early birds, but it looks good to me. Take a pic of the root-end cross section when you get it to dispell any doubts.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I know very little of dino teeth from Morocco but it does seem small to be Deltadromeus. I would say as long as you didn't pay a bunch extra for it compared to other species of Dromaeosaur teeth from Morocco you still got a good buy and one heck of a nice little tooth.

I think I paid $79 for it, $89 for the spinosaur tooth, and $150 for the spino vert... if that's any help...

(To whomever asked about the photo, I didn't take it, so I can't give you rights to use it, but I'm photographer by trade and I'll take some nice shots of my own and send them to you.)

Hi Auspex,

I'll take images of the cross section. What is it that you can tell from the root xsection that aids in ID?

Ps- I'm going hawk banding soon for the first time, I can't wait! :)

What is it that you can tell from the root xsection that aids in ID?

There are some pretty subjective clues: thickness-to-width, hourglass- vs. parallel- vs. barrel-sided.

I'm going hawk banding soon for the first time, I can't wait! :)

Way cool! Where/what project; Whitefish Point, by any chance? Take your camera!!! ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

There are some pretty subjective clues: thickness-to-width, hourglass- vs. parallel- vs. barrel-sided.

Gotcha. I've actually been looking at other D.agilis teeth online aand certainly the superficial appearance seems to be correct. Lot of pics will follow once I get it in hand though.

Way cool! Where/what project; Whitefish Point, by any chance? Take your camera!!! ;)

I'll be somewhere around Stokes state forest in NJ, not far from where I live. A friend is an artist and he wants good photos to use for doing paintings. His contact has been banding for 20 years. For fun I mostly do wildlife photography so this should be a blast! Around here we get red tails, coopers, sharp shinned, peregrines (I think)... rarely we get golden eagles and I've seen one (1) bald eagle in my travels so far. Now that I'm getting into the raptor bird evolution theories I'm even more keen to brush up my bird knowledge :)

Here's the pics as promised (just quick shots)... what do you think?

547104336_ovryX-M.jpg

547105022_RCZRA-M.jpg

IMHO: I cannot gainsay the ID, but it is missing more than just the root (which would also bring it closer to the usual size parameters).

It was only $79 ,and it does appear to be a genuine dinosaur tooth of some sort, so I'm happy enough with my purchase. I wish I had a more solid ID but I suppose I'll take the leap of faith and assume it's D.agilis :)

I got this tooth in the auction at the Aurora Fossil Festival. It looks alot like yours and was identified as Carcharodontosaurus saharachus from Morocco. I have found identical looking teeth with the same name on other web sites. Hope this helps!

post-1439-1243460794_thumb.jpg post-1439-1243461184_thumb.jpg

buy the way cat shark you said it wrong it is Carcharodontosaurus saharicus cat shark the one you have is Carcharodontosaurus saharicus for sure not sure about yours Pitviper beacuse thier a lot missing of it so it hard 2 id

buy the way cat shark you said it wrong it is Carcharodontosaurus saharicus cat shark the one you have is Carcharodontosaurus saharicus for sure not sure about yours Pitviper beacuse thier a lot missing of it so it hard 2 id

?????????????????????

Pitviper, Check these two websites: ...EDIT: deleted... and Thedinosaurstore. They have similiar teeth. I know very little about dino teeth and have been using these for references.