Mazon Creek Fossils

Dicranurus

Here is 2 fossil from Mazon Creek. I would like to know what they are? :)

post-1446-1242662304_thumb.jpg

post-1446-1242662369_thumb.jpg

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Here is one more. Is this jellyfish?

post-1446-1242662789_thumb.jpg

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

The second one might be a clam that is not completely exposed?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest N.AL.hunter

I do not know what they are, but I am impressed with your photos. Most times I can't make out what is inside these things, but your photos show the specimens very clearly. Way to go.

The first specimen is a plant fragment, second is a Myalinid bivalve (probably Myalinella meeki), third specimen is a jellyfish Essexella asherae.

Rob

I do not know what they are, but I am impressed with your photos. Most times I can't make out what is inside these things, but your photos show the specimens very clearly. Way to go.

Thanks. I like to take pics.

-Sir David Attenborough

Didranurus......... The plant frond leaf looks like some form of Alethopteris.....

Very Nice examples......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

The first specimen is a plant fragment, second is a Myalinid bivalve (probably Myalinella meeki), third specimen is a jellyfish Essexella asherae.

Rob

I don't think that first is conifer leaf, that 'subject' has wrong proportin between length and width for the conifer (neuro- or alethopteris).

First seems to be pant material, second looks like a crushed bivalve of some sort, 3rd does look like a jelly fish.

I think the first sample is a lepidophyllum ,the bracts of cones ( strobus ) may reach 6 to 8 centimeters length....Not to be confused with lepidophylloides which are lepidodendron leaves ....

bruno

pl_lepidophyllum.pdf

I think the first sample is a lepidophyllum ,the bracts of cones ( strobus ) may reach 6 to 8 centimeters length....Not to be confused with lepidophylloides which are lepidodendron leaves ....

bruno

I'd say this is a pretty solid ID.

I'd say this is a pretty solid ID.

In Crookhall 1959 , the autor speaks about lepidophyllum and lepidostrobus from Mazon creek ......

post-967-1242915501_thumb.jpg

docdutronc...... good call......

Heres some examples ive found.....I never realised they got that big.....

post-1630-1242922669_thumb.jpg post-1630-1242922695_thumb.jpg post-1630-1242923199_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1242922709_thumb.jpg post-1630-1242922735_thumb.jpg

Hi Terry Dactyll

You have beautiful specimens, they come from Crockhey ? mine were discovered in 2006 in the Stéphanian shales ( upper carboniferous ) near Grenoble (Isère) france ......

post-967-1242926072_thumb.jpg

post-967-1242926112_thumb.jpg

post-967-1242926145_thumb.jpg

post-967-1242926178_thumb.jpg

post-967-1242926222_thumb.jpg

docdutronc........

Thanks for your interest, you have some very beautiful specimens to.... I particularily like your last one....

Some came from Crockhey Opencast and some came from Sandyforth Opencast which was about 2 miles from Crockhey... There was very little to find there (nodular wise) so it wasnt heavily collected but it produced a few gems including all the carboniferous fish material I have, Shark & Rhizodont & the Syncarid crustacean I posted previously..... It must have been a different environment to Crockhey as most of the plant was fragmentary rarther than partial fronds.... perhaps more liable to flood during monsoon than within the forrested area... It was dug before Crockhey but left excavated and was filled in after crockhey finished.....

A few other bits from Sandyforth Opencast... This stuffs never been seen before......

post-1630-1242930350_thumb.jpg post-1630-1242930375_thumb.jpg

Quite interesting one....a Cyclopteris with a partial Alethopteris hidden underneath it

post-1630-1242930997_thumb.jpg

Mariopters & Astrophyllites longifolius

post-1630-1242931012_thumb.jpg post-1630-1242931236_thumb.jpg

Nodular fishscale & Lepidodendron

post-1630-1242931335_thumb.jpg post-1630-1242931405_thumb.jpg

Syncarid Crustacean

post-1630-1242931481_thumb.jpg