Fossil With Raised Chain

Cubby

Hi! :)

I'm pretty new to knowing much about fossils, but since my hubby and I are having a pond dug, I've been doing my own digging for rocks (we have lots of rocks!). Last night I found a rock about half the size of a golf ball (or less) with what looks like a white raised chain wrapped all around the stone in different ways. I'm baffled at what this could be. I ran water over it and the links stayed white but the stone itself turned darker. Does anyone know what sort of fossil this is? I keep trying to do searches online and have flipped through every rock book at the library, but I can't find anything even close to it. Can anyone help me? :unsure:

Thanks!

~Cubby ")

Hi! :)

I'm pretty new to knowing much about fossils, but since my hubby and I are having a pond dug, I've been doing my own digging for rocks (we have lots of rocks!). Last night I found a rock about half the size of a golf ball (or less) with what looks like a white raised chain wrapped all around the stone in different ways. I'm baffled at what this could be. I ran water over it and the links stayed white but the stone itself turned darker. Does anyone know what sort of fossil this is? I keep trying to do searches online and have flipped through every rock book at the library, but I can't find anything even close to it. Can anyone help me? :unsure:

Thanks!

~Cubby ")

If you could post a picture of it, Someone might be able to help.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Pictures are worth thousands of words. See if you can post some pics of it. Also, location info might help us. Welcome to the forum.

If you could post a picture of it, Someone might be able to help.

Not sure if I did this right! Sorry! I did try to send it though. If it didn't turn out, I'll try again. I'm on a computer I am not used to.

from your description it sounds like Halysites which is a chain coral that is weathering differentially. not an uncommon fossil but i am sure it is very intersting.

can't wait for pictures.

Brock

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Yep, what he said. Halysites is a common index fossil for the Silurian. Where are you located?

We'll try the reverse-pic ID; does it look anything like this?

post-423-1242683430_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We'll try the reverse-pic ID; does it look anything like this? :rofl:

Thats cool what is it I should know right

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

^^Yep, what he said. Halysites is a common index fossil for the Silurian. Where are you located?

I'm located in lower mid-Michigan. I'm going to try to send them out again tomorrow at work on a different computer. Mine is being really slow tonight (dial up... but not for long!).

Thank you, everyone, for your helpfulness! I do think you may be right with the Halysites. I looked at other pics online and they did look similar!

~Cubby

We'll try the reverse-pic ID; does it look anything like this?

That's an interesting fossil. Never seen that before.

Guest solius symbiosus
I'm located in lower mid-Michigan.

Silurian rocks are only exposed in the S.E. corner of the state, so it is probably not Halysites. Another tabulate that is common from the Mississippian is Syringopora. In cross section, it can kind of look like "chains"...sort of.

Possibly glacial float from Silurian rocks up north? Otherwise it sounds like a baseball to me. :wacko:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Silurian rocks are only exposed in the S.E. corner of the state, so it is probably not Halysites. Another tabulate that is common from the Mississippian is Syringopora. In cross section, it can kind of look like "chains"...sort of.

Hopefully this download worked so you all can see it!

~Cubby ")

post-1677-1242734210_thumb.jpg

post-1677-1242734778_thumb.jpg