Fun In The Kamp Ranch Formation

Oh-Man

Last week I had a business trip to the DFW area so Jax and I met up to hunt for some crab fossils, of which we found a handful.

Unfortunately Jax Jr had a mishap with gravity (he's a toddler and that's to be expected) and ended up in the emergency room for some stitches. So Jax sent me off to find "a couple" of small teeth in the Kamp Ranch.

After arriving I was able to hunt for a little over an hour. At that point I called Jax and asked him exactly how many he was thinking I would find. He said at least a couple, but since it had rained heavily it could be much more. In this case it was definitely the "much more."

So to date, my ptychodus collection had 22 teeth from 4 different species. Well I'm still at 4 for the species, but I more than doubled the size of my collection that late afternoon. Jax said this spot has lots of small teeth and that proved to be the case. I came away with 32 whole ones, some in matrix and several more pieces.

I also found a few squalis and a larger white bladed tooth that is over an inch long. The chunk in the top left corner of the first pic is some shark cartlidge.

Thanks JAX - I owe you one, or two!

post-549-1242698021_thumb.jpg

post-549-1242698043_thumb.jpg

post-549-1242698062_thumb.jpg

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Well with finds like that, hard to not be fun. You found some first rate teeth too!

Welcome to the forum!

Great finds, I particularly like the ptychodus collection. That wheat-back penny is close to being a fossil as well.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Cool finds! Looks like you hit the jackpot.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Love those tall crowns of those whipplei teeth!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Love those tall crowns of those whipplei teeth!

My kids call them nipple teeth... :o for obvious reasons.

I still want to find one the size of a golf ball!

Woah, Dude! What a great afternoon!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks like you did great Oh-man! I love those ptychodus teeth! Any ID on the large white one?

Looks like you did great Oh-man! I love those ptychodus teeth! Any ID on the large white one?

Thanks - it's great to have great fossil hunting buddies!

As for the white bladed tooth, I'm guessing Cretoxyrhina mantelli unless anyone says otherwise.

Thanks - it's great to have great fossil hunting buddies!

As for the white bladed tooth, I'm guessing Cretoxyrhina mantelli unless anyone says otherwise.

Looks like a Ginsu to me as well.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Well Owen, hate to burst your bubble but I own all Kamp Ranch property across

this fine state. I have no problem with you hunting on any of my land but I do

require all teeth be returned to their rightful owner...You buying any of that??? :D

Oh and Jax...expect yours too... :P

Seriously, Jax, hope your son is doing excellent by now.

Welcome to the forum!

I think I'm hearing a new twist on the Texas Mineral Rights law!?!

:blink:

You'll have to catch us first though! B)

require all teeth be returned to their rightful owner...You buying any of that??? :D

There's another clause in there that says that all Houston area forum members get their cut, too! ;)

Looks like my honey hole still has it!!! There are some nice teeth there. This is also the place I find pearls every now and then. I guess Owen just doesnt have the eye for them :P He also left the part out about him kicking out a 3 foot water moccasin right at me while I was crossing the creek. Scared the snarge out of me when he goes, " sounds like a snake comin at ya".....

Jr is ok, he fell and bite his tongue, he had a lizard tongue :D So after 5.5 hrs in the ER, they gave him his first 3 stiches. And only 16 months old..... Hes a rough and tough boy.

"Hes a rough and tough boy"

Yep, I could hear him chattering away in the background like nothing happened! With that kind of durability his destined to be a great rock hunter!

I have a few items to show for this trip in the crab field, but I cant seem to get a good time to snap some pics. Stay tuned. If the sun comes out today, i'll get some of my Baculite with a mother of pearl shell. It has so much color, but the camera does it no justice.