Vinegar bath for large ammonite?

DevEngNerd

• New Members

A buddy gave me this large rough ammonite as a gift (see picture), this is my first attempt at preparing a fossil and I don't want to ruin it. I am trying to clean it up and have chipped away most of the surrounding limestone, now I see what looks like crystalization, does this mean it's silicified? If so, do you all think it would better to soak it in vinegar, soak it in acid, or have it cut in half to reveal the inside with out dissolving the limestone?

Thanks for the advice!!!

post-21578-0-24032700-1464469866_thumb.jpg

post-21578-0-90926300-1464469867_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Nice ammonite. A quick acid bath might help, but a cleaning with warm water and soap using a soft brush would be my first recommendation. The crystals are probably calcite. Does a knife blade scratch the crystals? Is so, then they are probably calcite which will dissolve if left too long in acid.

Do you know where the ammonite came from to help us give you an ID? It looks a little like an Eopachydiscus.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Vinegar IS acid, so you wouldn't want to use it on any fossil composed of calcium carbonate (you wouldn't want to use any acid on CaCO3, actually). Crystals don't mean silica; calcium carbonate also makes crystals. On that particular fossil, I'd use only mechanical tools or air abrasives. That said, though it's difficult to tell from a photo, my guess is that you've got a mold, and you're probably not likely to get a whole lot more detail out of it no matter what you do.

https://twitter.com/Fossil_News

The "InvertebrateMe" blog
http://invertebrateme.wordpress.com

I would do the bath and brushing and then leave as is, or maybe coat with a spray finish, matte or shiny whichever you like.

Cephalopods rule!!

As the shell has dissolved (this is a solidified sediment internal mold), a light cleaning is all that will benefit it.

The suture lines are striking, no?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Welcome to the forum.

Nice ammonite. A quick acid bath might help, but a cleaning with warm water and soap using a soft brush would be my first recommendation. The crystals are probably calcite. Does a knife blade scratch the crystals? Is so, then they are probably calcite which will dissolve if left too long in acid.

Do you know where the ammonite came from to help us give you an ID? It looks a little like an Eopachydiscus.

Thanks for the reply! The crystal interior is very hard, using an air chisel I could tell immediately when I hit it. The ammonite came from near Cleburne TX, South of Fort Worth.

Nice ammo!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.