How Can I Tell The Difference Between A Modern Bone And A Dinosaur Bone?

DChalo

I have 3 bones that i have found in the North Sulfur River, are there any simple tests or other things that can help me tell if it is modern or dino? I can add pics if requested

Guest N.AL.hunter

I think you mean modern or fossil. It is called the burn test. Heat up a sewing needle until it glows (use pliers to hold it), then stick it to the bone in question. If it smells bad, it is modern. If the hot needle doesn't burn it and produce a bad smell, it could be fossil.

I think you mean modern or fossil. It is called the burn test. Heat up a sewing needle until it glows (use pliers to hold it), then stick it to the bone in question. If it smells bad, it is modern. If the hot needle doesn't burn it and produce a bad smell, it could be fossil.

Could? I need an accurate test

Guest N.AL.hunter
Could? I need an accurate test

I doubt you have the equipment or knowledge to conduct a better test than the burn test.

I doubt you have the equipment or knowledge to conduct a better test than the burn test.

How many percent of the time is the test correct?

The burn test is a good and fairly accurate test... I recommend it also.. I have had to use it before.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

To clarify:

The "burn test" will reveal whether or not the bone has been mineralized. Unmineralized bone smells like burning hair when put to the flame, heavily mineralized bone does not. The "usually" comes into play when a fairly modern bone has been subjected to a mineral-rich environment (some Florida rivers, for example) and becomes "prematurely old".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

post a picture.

He has posted them on a different post and they were modern then. Found any more trilobites in your dad's creek?

He has posted them on a different post and they were modern then. Found any more trilobites in your dad's creek?

Yea but that was 2 days ago a lot can happen to bones in 48 hours

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Wait, so what is this thing going around about "Fossil Eating Mites?" I dont know if thats what its called but someone said something about these bugs that ruined his fossils, was it a joke? Can i protect them somehow?

I will post pics after i take a shower

...someone said something about these bugs that ruined his fossils...

Someone who? I don't recall a post like that.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well are there these certain bugs?

Yes! This one ate my biggest Mosasaur tooth just yesterday!

Note: they get into your fossil collection disguised inside a thin shell of fake Moroccan trilobite. Cheap Chinese Hadrosaur eggs have been known to conceal hundreds of the buggers!

2433448916_a49b6e2b57.jpg

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Well are there these certain bugs?

[/quote Just like there are Moroccan trilobites in the creek at your dad's.

Yes! This one ate my biggest Mosasaur tooth just yesterday!

Note: they get into your fossil collection disguised inside a thin shell of fake Moroccan trilobite. Cheap Chinese Hadrosaur eggs have been known to conceal hundreds of the buggers!

2433448916_a49b6e2b57.jpg

Forget it

Forget it

Can't take a joke?

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

guys stop being so bitter!! this forum isnt like that....remember two wrongs dont make a right

build a bridge, get over it....find some fossils (and show me* some pics!!!) relax :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

guys stop being so bitter!! this forum isnt like that....remember two wrongs dont make a right

build a bridge, get over it....find some fossils (and show me* some pics!!!) relax :D

This site isn't like that, EVERYBODY holds a grudge on me

This is a really bad time to be bugging me

Boy you can dish it out but can not take it :faint::rofl::rofl:

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

This site isn't like that, EVERYBODY holds a grudge on me

Mate what did you expect? im sure if you apologize to everyone they will accept your apology and it will be fine.

But personally i think if you try to go down the sympathy alley you will just be continually snubbed...

Be mature about it, and you might get some respect back...

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Boy you can dish it out but can not take it :faint::rofl::rofl:

ha ha lol seldom funny as he@@......... I wonder if you bury a lie in the ground for a thousand years does it become a fossil or is it still a lie.

DChalo -

The only 100% sure bet on fossil vs. modern is if it is an extinct animal.

Second best is the burn test. It's not a sure bet, but pretty good. If I'm not sure in my collection, I label it as "Pleistocene/Holocene". That way you're hedging your bets.

ha ha lol seldom funny as he@@......... I wonder if you bury a lie in the ground for a thousand years does it become a fossil or is it still a lie.

i refuse to join in this discussion, but just FYI, a lie has to be 10K years old to be a fossil lie, according to paleontoliegists.