Worth the repair?

JackTommo1

Hi guys,

Been back out and found some pretty nice ammonites today which I'll be prepping over the next few weeks.

Quick question, the below one cracked as it was removed from the rock, and part of the shell (to the side) came off.. Think

its worth the effort of attempting a repair? not sure how it will come out.. If so any suggestions on technique? I've not

repaired one before

post-21618-0-09268000-1465493862_thumb.jpg

Or could be one to discard?!

Cheers

Jack.

looks like you've got all the pieces ? so definitively go ahead.. any strong glue will do the trick

Definately! Good practice and you might get a great ammo too.

If you decide to sling it throw it south east (from your point of view) to Manchester :D

If you could use the practice it would certainly be worth prepping it out. I'm fortunate where I am that rarely anything needs any prep but from my experience stuff I've found in the past that doesn't earn a place in my personal display anymore still is a great piece to someone out of my area and makes for some great trade bait : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Easy repair. Go for it.

RB

Hey guys,

So chipped and polished away and have repaired the ammonite the best I can, and am pretty happy with the results.

before

post-21618-0-67851700-1465926744_thumb.jpgpost-21618-0-13221900-1465926748_thumb.jpg

after, picture doesn't capture shine too well

post-21618-0-72603300-1465926586_thumb.jpgpost-21618-0-35272700-1465926591_thumb.jpgpost-21618-0-81575200-1465926594_thumb.jpg

Size is just over 5 x 4 inches, and 1.25 inch width.. Would of been great if it hadn't cracked as it came out, but still looks pretty nice and is a fair size. Does anyone have any suggestions on finishing? I was thinking

of filling the cracked section but not sure how this would turn out..

Jack.

Edited by JackTommo1

You've done a great job Jack. I bet you're glad you didn't sling it now. There are a few on the forum that can advise with filling in the cracks Roger, (Ludwigia) has done some great repairs on ammonites for example. I think (I'll be corrected if wrong!) that two part resin/hardener is used and that two part putty too.

Thanks John. Am I right in thinking its a Philloceras? Thanks for the advice on filler :)

Jack.

Hey Jack. I have been known to use a 2 part putty colored with that powder stuff you use for mixing mortar. You should be able to get very close to both the dark color of the ammo itself and also the grey color of the matrix. You may have to do a sample or two and let it dry to make sure. Good luck

RB

Yes John we went for a long walk down along the coast from whitby past all the little villages.

Can anyone help in species identification?

Cheers

Jack.