A Couple Fossils

Andy

I have a couple of pics of stuff I think I know what it is, but I am just making sure. I am trying to refine my identification skills. The first pic is of three shark teeth. From left to right, the first one, I think is an Squalicorax Kaupi tooth. It is from Morocco. The second I think is a tiger shark tooth. It is possibly from South Carolina. The last one is from New Jersey, possibly Big Brook, and I think it is a Squalicorax Pristodontus. The second and third photo is a brachiopod from an unknown location. It is covered in pyrite. Is it a legitiment fossil? I have heard of them coming from Ohio covered in Pyrite. Does this look like the ones from Ohio? The label just say's "Pyritized Brachiopod". It looks like there is layer of pyrite covering limestone? But, the pyrite layer seems to have the detail. It dosen't look like the pyrite is mixed through or solid pyrite.

post-196-1200852255_thumb.jpg

post-196-1200852263_thumb.jpg

post-196-1200852274_thumb.jpg

Andy: Your Moroccan Squalicorax is also S.pristodontis, not kaupi.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Andy: Your Moroccan Squalicorax is also S.pristodontis, not kaupi.

What I wrote were simply guesses. Was I right? Do you think the brachiopod is fake?

Thanks-

Guest Nicholas

I do not think the Brach is fake, there isn't a huge market for them normally so I don't think there would be many fakes in circulation. It seems alright to me from the picture. Although it is different from any of mine and the ones I deal with aren't covered in pyrite, I may be wrong. I think someone around here should know. Still interesting to me.

Guest solius symbiosus

The Brackiopod is not fake. They are found in rocks that were deposited in a reducing environment, i.e., low oxygen.

the brachiopod is real. i have cleaned about 200 of them from limestone. the best way i have found is to use lime-away. they are from ohio, but i can't remember the species name. give me some time to pull mine out and i will get you the id on it.

brock

The Brachiopod looks like Paraspirifer bownockeri from Sylvania, Ohio.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I was just worried because the pyrite coating just looks like it is on the surface of the brachiopod, not marbled through. Some of the coating is missing in places. Did I label the shark's teeth correctly? Is that middle one a tiger shark's tooth?

Thanks-

I was just worried because the pyrite coating just looks like it is on the surface of the brachiopod, not marbled through. Some of the coating is missing in places. Did I label the shark's teeth correctly? Is that middle one a tiger shark's tooth?

Thanks-

2 Squalicorax pristodontis and 1 Galeocerdo cuvier, a tiger shark

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

the pyrite on the brachiopod is actually replacing the original aragonite shell. sometimes if the specimen is broken you can clean out the inside and the spiral brachidia are also pyritized. and other times the inside is filled with calcite.

brock