Removing Superglue From Fossils

Andy

I see what you guys mean.. It looks like the lines make a V, but if you look hard enough, I believe it's an edge where the piece is broken.

It's the core of a columbian mammoth tusk from Polk County, FL. As you can see the acetone, didin't damage it. Can you see where the piece is glued on? I will try to post smaller pics next time. Does it look like a good glue or should I try to remove it and try again? Or should I keep it and just remove the excess glue? Except I don't know how to remove it without damaging anything. I think it looks fine, but I just want the opinion of experienced fossil people. I just want it to look like a fracture or something that you find naturally. Probably, just need to remove the excess glue. Do you think acetone you get in the paint section of a hardware store is better than the nail-polish remover?

Thanks-

Go with the pure acetone and remove all the clue and either use less next time or go with a super glue gel less is more . Oh yeah paleo bond is the stuff to get just a little pricey.

D

Go with the pure acetone and remove all the clue and either use less next time or go with a super glue gel less is more . Oh yeah paleo bond is the stuff to get just a little pricey.

D

You can get a gallon of acetone for $10.00, or so. Use a bowl with a snap-on lid made of acetone-resistent plastic (food grade polyethylene, I believe) from the dollar store. I don't really know the concentration of acetone in nail polish remover; never used the stuff. I agree with darren that the superglue gel is easier to use. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are tricky -- practice, practice, practice!

------Harry Pristis

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I googled "removing superglue". And I read somewhere that somebody tried nail-polish remover and it didin't do much. And then they got pure acetone and it desolved the glue within 2 minutes! There is also a superglue remover they sell. I don't think it is acetone. I don't know what it is. But, I heard its the best. Plus, it has a applicator, so you are not soaking it and applying it just to the area. And the glue isn't over a large area. But, I don't know if it would be safe to use on this fossil. What do you think?

Thanks-

Use the acetone it will be fine!! How big is that piece of ivory?

I googled "removing superglue". And I read somewhere that somebody tried nail-polish remover and it didin't do much. And then they got pure acetone and it desolved the glue within 2 minutes! There is also a superglue remover they sell. I don't think it is acetone. I don't know what it is. But, I heard its the best. Plus, it has a applicator, so you are not soaking it and applying it just to the area. And the glue isn't over a large area. But, I don't know if it would be safe to use on this fossil. What do you think?

Thanks-

I was told to use Metyl-Ethol Ketone (spelling?) to remove superglue and it is better than Acetone. Would this be safe on the fossil? I think it is related to turpentine somehow.

Thanks-

MEK = Methyl Ethyl Ketone.

Acetone = Methyl Methyl Ketone.

There is little difference in the solubility power of MEK and Acetone so use Acetone.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

It turns my stomach to think of glue on a fossil. I could never put glue on a fossil, it just doesn't seem right. I won't even glue my broken teeth or bone. No way Norway. * shivers * It just seems wrong. El naturalle.

Many fossils have to be glued in order to keep it from turning to dust in its new environment. I have never glued a fossil yet, I haven't really needed to but if I do need to I will.

I didin't want to do it either. But, as I researched on the internet, it is a very accepted technique, provided you don't make a mess like I did. I got some more powerful acetone and I am ready to go to work!

Thanks-

Some fossils need to be stabilized after coming out of the water so like anson said they don't turn to dust ivory will do this. I'll soak delicate fossils in acetone wich will push the water out then soak in acetone and butvar or gomers recipe acetone and ducco. the first acetone soak is to prevent a whitish haze on the foosil from resiial water.

d

I didin't want to do it either. But, as I researched on the internet, it is a very accepted technique, provided you don't make a mess like I did. I got some more powerful acetone and I am ready to go to work!

Thanks-

I tried the stronger acetone. After 4 hours of soaking, the piece came right off and most of the superglue dissolved. Only problem is, the superglue migrated to another part of the piece. I know a little chemistry, and things do not magically disapear, the superglue must dissolve in the acetone and then when it dries/evaporates, the superglue dosen't evaporate, but it hardens. What do you think I should do?

Thanks-

Soak it in the acetone again... Add a little extra acetone every hour or so, that way it doesn't evaporate all the way... That's what I have to do when I use the Duco glue and acetone mixture, otherwise I have a bunch of...glue stuck to the bottom of whatever I was messing with.

How long total should I do it for? This acetone I have is very powerful. I think it can dissolve it totally within a hour or two. So, remove it before the acetone evaporates? The glue didin't stick to just the bottom, it got everywhere. But, still I think it is the superglue settling after the acetone evaporates. Kind of like mixing salt with water and boiling the water off. The salt is still there. Maybe I should scrub it too? I just let it soak this past time. Another concern, I mentioned it was consolidated, but the acetone seems to be drying it out. Making it kind of crumbly, not very crumbly, but a little bit. Once I address this superglue problem, should I use some Butvar-76?

Thanks-

How long total should I do it for? This acetone I have is very powerful. I think it can dissolve it totally within a hour or two. So, remove it before the acetone evaporates? The glue didin't stick to just the bottom, it got everywhere. But, still I think it is the superglue settling after the acetone evaporates. Kind of like mixing salt with water and boiling the water off. The salt is still there. Maybe I should scrub it too? I just let it soak this past time. Another concern, I mentioned it was consolidated, but the acetone seems to be drying it out. Making it kind of crumbly, not very crumbly, but a little bit. Once I address this superglue problem, should I use some Butvar-76?

Thanks-

By soaking it in the acetone whatever was used to stabilix=ze it was pushed out . move the fossil around in the acetone and once your finished and it looks good re stabilize with butvar or ducco. butvar is great but will give fossil a shiney finish ducco and acetone wond change the look of the fossil. I don't think you need to soak the fossil very long the acetone will redissolved the glue pretty quickly.

how big a piece of ivory is it can you take a towel with acetone and lightly rub off the glue?

d

So, ducco won't change the look of the fossil. Is it better than Butvar-76? Where can I get Butvar-76 or ducco?

Thanks-

ducco you can get at walmart 1pint of acetone to 1 tube of ducco will leave the fossil looking the same but stabilized.. Butvar will leave a laquer like glossey shine on the outside of the fossil.

butvar university of florida dept of paleontology.

d

If the fossil was originally stabilized with Butvar-76 and if it is not all driven out with the acetone, is it still okay to use the ducco? I can't tell if it was totally driven out or not. And of course I have to remove the superglue first. But, also if I don't get all the superglue, will that be okay? Of course, I will get rid of all the superglue, I can visibly see, but still probably some will remain.

Thanks-

Read the last set of question, I just want to add one more thing. I got most of the superglue off, but still there are little spots and the acetone is drying it out more and more and a fracture has started to appear, not real obvious or bad, but I don't want to try to remove it anymore. My question is if I stabilize it with Butvar and make it shiny, maybe it will cover up the places where the superglue is?

Thanks-

Read the last set of question, I just want to add one more thing. I got most of the superglue off, but still there are little spots and the acetone is drying it out more and more and a fracture has started to appear, not real obvious or bad, but I don't want to try to remove it anymore. My question is if I stabilize it with Butvar and make it shiny, maybe it will cover up the places where the superglue is?

Thanks-

1 pint of acetone to 1 tube of green ducco put fossil in wait till it stops bubbling remove.

so if you need a gallon of acetone to submerse the piece 8 tubes of ducco.

Is it alright to do that even if some of the original butvar is still present in the specimen? I was not able to get all the superglue off, but most of it. Is it alright to go ahead and use the ducco?

Thanks-