Real?

ezajac

• New Members

Bought this at a small rocks and minerals shop in New Hampshire, was told it was a dinosaur tooth. Does it look real? post-21092-0-58218100-1466388689_thumb.jpg

Can't get the images to enlarge. It is hard to say based on the thumbnails.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

It appears to be the tooth of a Mosasaur, a marine reptile - not a dinosaur. It has the look of Moroccan material and the tooth is most probably "real" - at least the crown, if not the root and matrix.

These are just best guesses based on what can be seen in the small photos.

I believe it is indeed the tooth of an ancient, fierce, predatory critter, enjoy.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree with Snolly. A genuine Mosasaur tooth crown, possibly with a fabricated root and matrix.

-Lyall

I believe it is indeed the tooth of an ancient, fierce, predatory critter, enjoy.

You can't assume that... I understand that some mosasaurs were stage three vegans and did a lot of charity work.

I don't mean to be a naysayer or anything, but it is most likely repaired/ partially fabricated. My brother was given a mosasaur tooth in a matrix with a full "root". he wanted me to test its authenticity, so I placed it in warm water, and within minutes, everything crumbled apart; the 'matrix' was just compacted dirt basically, the 'root' was just molded dirt, and the 'tooth' was like 2-3 different fragments glued together. If you want to test its authenticity, place it in a bowl of warm water, and let it sit. If it doesn't become mush, its genuine, but if it does, then its a phony. If you do test it this way, however, you may wind up with something that is permanently ruined, so make sure you want to really take the risk before conducting the experiment. This is why I'm highly skeptical of Moroccan fossils, specifically mosasaur and otodus teeth.

Edited by Untitled

You can't assume that... I understand that some mosasaurs were stage three vegans and did a lot of charity work.

My apologies, I did not mean to malign the many, many Mosasaurs; who were fine, productive, peace-loving citizens.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I don't mean to be a naysayer or anything, but it is most likely repaired/ partially fabricated. My brother was given a mosasaur tooth in a matrix with a full "root". he wanted me to test its authenticity, so I placed it in warm water, and within minutes, everything crumbled apart; the 'matrix' was just compacted dirt basically, the 'root' was just molded dirt, and the 'tooth' was like 2-3 different fragments glued together. If you want to test its authenticity, place it in a bowl of warm water, and let it sit. If it doesn't become mush, its genuine, but if it does, then its a phony. If you do test it this way, however, you may wind up with something that is permanently ruined, so make sure you want to really take the risk before conducting the experiment. This is why I'm highly skeptical of Moroccan fossils, specifically mosasaur and otodus teeth.

Genuine pieces of matrix also sometimes disintergrate into mush. So that is is not a conclusive test.

That being said. This piece looks suspect. Likely only the tooth crown is real. And yes, a mosasaur tooth. Not that of a dinosaur.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Genuine pieces of matrix also sometimes disintergrate into mush. So that is is not a conclusive test.

That being said. This piece looks suspect. Likely only the tooth crown is real. And yes, a mosasaur tooth. Not that of a dinosaur.

This is true, but when I tested this way, the root disintegrated, too.

Well yes, the real bones will not disintegrate. It's mostly just the martix.The bones can get brittle though.

Edited by LordTrilobite

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite