Cow?

ashcraft

A student brought a bone into me that he found in a local creek that is known to produce pleistocene material. The black patena might be Mn staining, but it looks alittle different......maybe. Any insight?

Brent Ashcraft

post-120-1242960111_thumb.jpg

post-120-1242960310_thumb.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

I was about to observe that it has a patina of significant age, but then I opened the second pic and saw where the "crust" had flaked off to reveal white, degraded bone. It mightn't be as old as it looks at first glance.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would agree that it probably isn't that old due to the flaking, but I would think it could be pretty old and still do that if conditions were right.

i definitely think it isn't a "new" bone, because parts of it do have a "crust" on it, and it looks somewhat different in several ways from new material. but that doesn't mean it's pleistocene. On bones like that, when i pick them up, i first notice if they are noticeably heavier than a modern bone. if so, then at least some secondary mineralization has occurred (unless they're very wet, in which case the weight may be just from water). A second thing i do is push a fingernail tip onto the open end "spongy" or cancellous bone. if my fingernail crunches that stuff easily, then i know it's not heavily mineralized. really old, well-mineralized cancellous bone resists crunching pretty well.

How now brown....oops forgot my meds.... :faint:

Be true to the reality you create.

How now brown....oops forgot my meds.... :faint:

Oh no not you too.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway