Any tips on hunting at Calvert Cliffs?

Mombo

Hi all.

So, in a few weeks my girlfriend and I will have the opportunity to spend a couple of days hunting at Calvert Cliffs. We won't say where we're going exactly for our own internet anonymity. But, we're both excited.

I know we can't dig into the cliffs and we need to be careful where we hunt (don't want to be on private property!). That being said, does anyone have any tips on hunting in the area? Of my gear, what should I bring or not bring? I do need to build a sifter, what screen size is optimal?

Thanks all!

Time your visits to the hunting area so that you can hunt the outgoing tide, through low tide, and the incoming tide. This provides maximal exposure of the low water line. Beware the jellyfish if you get in the water. They are very unpleasant. Be the first people on the beach.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Agreed all about the tides and hopefully you will have a breeze not only to stay cool but to churn up the surf. Get there early and the jellies can be nasty.

If you are going to sift I would recommend 1/4 inch mesh. Long pants tucked into socks will protect your legs against the jellies. Their stingers are tiny, they can't even sting through something as thin as pantyhose or a "dive skin". Have fun.

I wonder if yoga pants would work. They might. Those darn jellyfish are the worst. Probably the only animal I ever wished extinction upon.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will keep the jellyfish in mind when I hunt. Luckily, being a New Englander I have dealt with my fair share of jellyfish.

But, what about gear? What is worth bringing and what should I leave at home?

I wonder if yoga pants would work. They might. Those darn jellyfish are the worst. Probably the only animal I ever wished extinction upon.

Well, considering how cnidarians originated during the Ediacaran and have survived all 5 mass extinctions (and are still thriving during the 6th), I don't think that's going to happen any time soon... :P