Megs, cloudy enamel, soak time

mrieder79

When I find megs in salt water, I soak them. Sometimes when they are drying, I notice a sort of foggy, crystalline look to the enamel around the border. I thought it was an inevitable part of the drying process, but recently read that it may be due to inadequate soak times.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Below is a picture of the phenomena I am trying to describe.

post-13111-0-80424300-1466544769_thumb.jpg

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Hmm, you'd better send them to me for closer analysis. No idea, unless it is salt crystals growing beneath the enamel.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

osteocyte lacunae taking in the moisture and swelling?

i believe handling teeth might *cause discolouration,but if that applies to fossil teeth.....................

*gloves are advised when handling bone and teeth,but i think that goes for recent teeth?

Edited by doushantuo

I rub a little baby or veg oil on ones I have that the enamel isn't glossy. It helps most of them, sometimes I'll do a couple applications. I try to keep it off the roots only because it makes the sand stick to them in my display: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Hmm, you'd better send them to me for closer analysis. No idea, unless it is salt crystals growing beneath the enamel.

Lol. Nice try, buddy! Yeah, I was wondering if it was salt crystals too. I'm going to try soaking this tooth much longer than usual and see if it makes a difference.

I rub a little baby or veg oil on ones I have that the enamel isn't glossy. It helps most of them, sometimes I'll do a couple applications. I try to keep it off the roots only because it makes the sand stick to them in my display: )

I was actually wondering about whether you put oil on your teeth. All the pictures you show always look so good. I guess this is how so many people get their teeth so shiny. I might try it on a few of mine.

• I found this Informative 1

Actually a lot of them don't need it but mostly it's land site teeth that I find that have " lightening" or whatever you'd like to call it. Not sure what causes it but some areas seem to suffer more than others.

So I tried some baby oil on some teeth that I had ruined with bleach last year. You may remember my "stinky teeth" post. Well, some of them were pretty dang sweet, so I thought I'd try to get them looking nice with baby oil. It really darkened the blade, but the biggest surprise was that it turned bleach-white bourlette black. Swear to god. Looks like magic marker. The teeth look so much better. The baby oil also makes the roots darken.

Have you noticed baby oil darkening your blonde roots?

All the color changes makes me hesitant to apply baby oil to my lighter colored teeth, unless that is a phenomena associated with the bleaching they went through last year.

I don't put it on my roots at all but it definatley will darken light colored pieces. I use a towel to apply on just the enamel on lighter teeth

good technique. Thanks.