Pathologic C. Hastalis Tooth or not? What do You think?

ynot

Hey Y'All,

Found this C. Hastalis on My last trip to Sharktooth Hill (story here--http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/66149-hot-days-and-toothy-dreams/ )

I think it looks laterally compressed, but would like to get Your opinions on it.

What do You think-- pathologic or not?

Scale in picture is inch ruler.

post-16416-0-27109400-1466996312_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-76414300-1466996319_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-35369800-1466996329_thumb.jpg

Thank Y'All for any opinions!!

Tony

I am a total newbie.

Nice to know i am seeing a hastalis,but what's the genus? :D

"Sharktooth Hill " gives me reason to believe it's an elasmobranch B)

Edited by doushantuo

I am a total newbie.

Nice to know i am seeing a hastalis,but what's the genus? :D

"Sharktooth Hill " gives me reason to believe it's an elasmobranch B)

The genius keeps changing but I think this is the current placement.

Cosmopolitodus (Isurus) hastalis (AGASSIZ, 1843) extinct White shark
You may like this site...
Tony

I take it selachian teeth are NOT normally laterally compressed?

BTW:Isolated teeth and taxonomy don't sit well together.

E.g. think sexual dimorphism,ontogenetic differences,intraspecific variation and teratologies

Thanks for thinking of showing a link.

Edited by doushantuo

I take it selachian teeth are NOT normally laterally compressed?

BTW:Isolated teeth and taxonomy don't sit well together.

E.g. think sexual dimorphism,ontogenetic differences,intraspecific variation and teratologies

Thanks for thinking of showing a link.

This is a C. Hastalis tooth that has the typical appearance from this species.

post-16416-0-55751500-1467004466_thumb.jpgpost-16416-0-35946700-1467004487_thumb.jpg

Do not understand this statement.

Other than upper/lower differences, as for as I am aware the only difference is an age thing. The teeth become more robust as the shark gets older.

Tony

Ontogeny is the scientific term for the process of maturation/growing up,and that means,of course,size changes,but also shape changes.

sexual dimorphism: the differences between males and females

All species of animals and plants are variable,to different degrees.

That's the reason in most differential diagnoses of species the maximum and minimum sizes encountered are mentioned,as well as other differences.

A lot of species ,particularly in paleontology are based on statistical differences

Edited by doushantuo
  • I found this Informative 1

Hi,

Do not understand this statement.

Other than upper/lower differences, as for as I am aware the only difference is an age thing. The teeth become more robust as the shark gets older.

Tony

Have a look on this thread ! http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/10818-heterorodontie-of-selachians/?hl=%2Bshark+%2Bjaw

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Thanks for the information! I was unaware of the names of the different types of dymorfizm.

My statement-- "Other than upper/lower differences, as for as I am aware the only difference is an age thing. The teeth become more robust as the shark gets older." -- was in regards to the C. Hastalis, not for sharks in general.

Tony

PS Still looking for an opinion on the pathologic thing.

Tony,

Lateral compression would show in the root lobes first since they extend farther laterally than the crown. Without the root it's hard to say but I don't see any sign of the cutting edges being pressured from either side.

If you don't see many lower teeth, and then you find one, it can look weird.

Jess

137 views and no opinions on the pathology.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?

Tony

Edited by siteseer
  • I found this Informative 2

:) Tony I would lean towards it being a patho.

Thank You!

I'd consult Gudger B)

Who is that?

Tony,

Lateral compression would show in the root lobes first since they extend farther laterally than the crown. Without the root it's hard to say but I don't see any sign of the cutting edges being pressured from either side.

If you don't see many lower teeth, and then you find one, it can look weird.

Jess

So You think it is a lower? I thought it an upper.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Tony

Tony,

First, it's really big for a partial crown of that species so we can assume it's from an individual well into adulthood. As Coco showed, upper teeth in sharks tend to be curved or angled while the lowers tend to be straighter, the first lower position tending to be the straightest tooth - not always) but sometimes curved or angled (but not as curved as uppers can be). Nature often frustrates the human urge to define and categorize and perhaps never more so than with shark teeth. I can only say that the more teeth you get a chance to look at, the more you understand some of the variation within a species, variation at each jaw position.

You would have to look around for proposed C. hastalis dentitions or at least some identified lower anteriors so you get familiar with the shapes. Also, look at modern great white jaws when you can. Look at as many modern shark jaws as you can (Marco Sr.'s recent threads are a great free education). Check out elasmo.com's coverage of great white evolution. Acquire as many shark articles as you can and learn which of the fossil shark tooth guides are more helpful than the others (but buy some of the less helpful ones for fun too). After all that, you will get an idea of how to identify hastalis teeth and most of the other shark teeth you see down to genus with varying levels of confidence but sometimes you will be wrong and as confused as when you started.

Jess

Thank You!

Who is that?

So You think it is a lower? I thought it an upper.

Thanks for the knowledge!

Tony

Yes, that is probably the first published article on pathologic shark teeth. You should be able find this too (interesting article):

Becker, M.A, J.A. Chamberlain Jr., and P.W. Stoffer. 2000.

Pathologic tooth deformities in modern and fossil chondrichthians: a consequence of feeding-related injury. Lethaia 33: 103-118.

I would consider it borderline. It is definitely narrower than most hastalis teeth, many even. I guess some of it comes down to sematntics and where someone wants to draw the line with variable morphology and definite pathology.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.