What Polish/Sealant do I use? (From Lyme Regis)

iEnderMan06

Hello, I recently went Fossil Hunting In Lyme Regis and collected a Few nice Fossils (In my Opinion) But don't know what to Polish them with (Or Seal them with) Please can you help me, I have attached the pictures of what I have, and want to Shine!post-21850-0-00505600-1467515961_thumb.jpgpost-21850-0-67641900-1467515942_thumb.jpgpost-21850-0-67641900-1467515942_thumb.jpgpost-21850-0-51253200-1467515948_thumb.jpgpost-21850-0-72108200-1467515952_thumb.jpgpost-21850-0-75907600-1467515956_thumb.jpgpost-21850-0-00505600-1467515961_thumb.jpg

Nice finds!! I would advise against trying to polish them- it would destroy them!

If they are crumbly there are several solutions that can be used to consolidate them.

Super glue is easy to get and it does work to keep them together.

Tony

I don't polish my Lyme Regis fossils, it tends to damage them in the long run.

• I found this Informative 1

Certainly no need to do anything to thr light coloured ammonite. The ammonites on the top though are really fragile, they're from the shales with beef member (Jurrasic, Sinemurian - 195 million years ago) and are pretty fragile. Don't get them wet, they can turn to mud. I know from washing one myself...

And welcome to the forum :)

Thank you everyone so far for helping me out! :D

Edited by iEnderMan06

Certainly no need to do anything to thr light coloured ammonite. The ammonites on the top though are really fragile, they're from the shales with beef member (Jurrasic, Sinemurian - 195 million years ago) and are pretty fragile. Don't get them wet, they can turn to mud. I know from washing one myself...

And welcome to the forum :)

Yeah, with the Light one I wanted to polish it and have it in two halves like these https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=polished+ammonite&rlz=1C1RZHW_enGB673GB673&biw=1242&bih=606&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjUgJmbzNjNAhXBJ8AKHToWBNsQ_AUIvQEoAQ#imgrc=1AKaOsiHUnnVxM%3A And yes the Beef ones are very soft, I have washed them a bit as they had lots of sticky mud on them, Thanks for the welcome! :DD

I don't polish my Lyme Regis fossils, it tends to damage them in the long run.

Yeah, The beef is very soft, I think though the Pebble like one would be ok, With the small chamber and baby ammonite, What would you advise for that one? Or do you not know? Thank you! :D

Thank you for the link Ludwigia but I don't think this is for fossils, I think it is for polishing things such as Marble, Thanks anyway! :D

Nice finds!! I would advise against trying to polish them- it would destroy them!

If they are crumbly there are several solutions that can be used to consolidate them.

Super glue is easy to get and it does work to keep them together.

Tony

Thank you, I haven't ever gone to Lyme Before, So I was really new, But I thought I did good, And to have you saying that makes me very happy! Thank you for the help with the Crumbly stuff, I didn't know if super glue would be ok for fossils if I ever got a crumbly one, Thanks again! :D

Also another thing to clear up the only fossil I want to "Shine" is the White (Madagascan?) Ammonite, The rest I want to be able to display in a cabinet and I want to take them out sometimes and not have to clean the whole shelf they are on every time I get them out, Which would be annoying... Heh, So just again, I only want to halve the White (M?) Ammonite and polish it, and the rest I want to be clean and not as muddy! xD

I'm not sure I've ever seen those white ammos from Tulear Madagascar sawn in half, I think it's normally the pearly Cleoniceras ones from Mahajanga that you see sawn and polished.

I'm with the majority, I prefer natural, unadulterated fossils, but sometimes you end up with soft, crumbly fossils (not sure the white Madag ones are that bad, I just put my example in a small specimen box in my fossil drawers and leave it there, and it's fine. You don't want to handle any fossil too much or they accumulate skin oils), So what do you do with crumbly ones? Some of the suggestions made above might work. I have only had experience with superglue/crazy glue/PaleoBond, which can make a fossil look permanently damp, which is fine if you don't mind that, but bad if you want it to look like it did when it came out of the ground. The main thing is to not choose anything that will leave a glossy finish. Glossy is a no-no if you ever want to examine the detail and be able to photograph it. Glossy is impossible to photograph because of the glare.

If you decide to apply superglue, if you pour a lot on and it doesn't readily soak in (make sure you have the runniest kind for that purpose, I know PaleoBond comes in different consistencies) you might have to look out for excess dribbling down, and dab it off before it dries, otherwise you will have glossy spots. This might go for the other products mentioned, too.

I'm not sure I've ever seen those white ammos from Tulear Madagascar sawn in half, I think it's normally the pearly Cleoniceras ones from Mahajanga that you see sawn and polished.

I'm with the majority, I prefer natural, unadulterated fossils, but sometimes you end up with soft, crumbly fossils (not sure the white Madag ones are that bad, I just put my example in a small specimen box in my fossil drawers and leave it there, and it's fine. You don't want to handle any fossil too much or they accumulate skin oils), So what do you do with crumbly ones? Some of the suggestions made above might work. I have only had experience with superglue/crazy glue/PaleoBond, which can make a fossil look permanently damp, which is fine if you don't mind that, but bad if you want it to look like it did when it came out of the ground. The main thing is to not choose anything that will leave a glossy finish. Glossy is a no-no if you ever want to examine the detail and be able to photograph it. Glossy is impossible to photograph because of the glare.

If you decide to apply superglue, if you pour a lot on and it doesn't readily soak in (make sure you have the runniest kind for that purpose, I know PaleoBond comes in different consistencies) you might have to look out for excess dribbling down, and dab it off before it dries, otherwise you will have glossy spots. This might go for the other products mentioned, too.

Ok thank you, :D

Thank you for the link Ludwigia but I don't think this is for fossils, I think it is for polishing things such as Marble, Thanks anyway! :D

I wouldn't have shown it to you if I didn't KNOW that it's extremely useful for fossils. It's been successfully used for exactly the purpose you've been asking about by fossil collectors all over Europe for decades. Just check out my collection to see the results.

Edited by Ludwigia
  • I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/