Giant Dino Egg!

RJB

All I had to do was get out of the truck, climb a fence and pick up this HUGE DINO EGG!!! It measures 16 inches from end to end. You can see how its falling apart at one end proving that it tried to hatch and proving that its a dino egg! The only minor problem is that it was found in the Bear Paw Formation which is sea sediments, so this dino egg obviously floated out to sea in a big storm and sank!!! HA!!! Ok,, just foolin around. This is a concretion with a big ole baculite in it. You can see it stickin out on the small end and you can see it on the big end but it has to be put back together. As fractured as this concretion is, im going to glue back all the pieces on the big end, then make two cuts along both sides and try my best to pry it open and hopefuly I will have one big ole beautiful 16 inch baculite? My fingers are crossed!!!

RB

Okay, that was just wrong. You got me all excited thinking that you found a dino egg. <_<

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Man thats wrong and I debated opening it after the last dino egg post

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

HA!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Seems more like a bacuheavy than a baculite <he said, just before he had the poor judgement to click "add reply">

I started to not open it either because of the last dino thing, and got all excited when I started reading, only to get disappointed. That was just wrong. :P

Sorry folks. I really didnt mean it to be a let down. Im still very excited cause it should be one of those colorful baculites and quite large too. But im sure ive had to put up with more 'Not Real' dino eggs than most being that I used to do several shows a year. I lost track of how many times someone brought in what they thought was a dino egg. One guy brought in a frikin geode that broke open. He had convinced himself that the stuff inside was fossilized dino egg yolk!!! I could tell you many many more. One guy had the trunk of his car filled with dino eggs! Ha!!!

RB

One guy had the trunk of his car filled with dino eggs! Ha!!

I bet that was interesting.

Cool find

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

One guy had the trunk of his car filled with dino eggs! Ha!!

I bet that was interesting.

Cool find

They were simply round rocks he found in the desert. After we talked for a short while, he told me there were thousands more where he got his at!!!

RB

I did the Fossil ID Day at the Humboldt State University Natural History Museum a couple of years ago and some folks brought in a pick-up load of huge Pliocene (or thereabouts) concretions from their Ranch on the Eel River. There must have been a 1000lbs of them with a few 100-pounders. They were sure they had dino eggs and they treated me like the idiot when I (gently) explained what they were. One conc even had a clam sticking out of it. I offered to break some with my hammer to help them find the real fossils that might be inside. They left angry, but I guess I understand given all the hard work they must have done.

I find eggs all the time with baby crabs in them. Sometimes I also find them with baby snails, clams, and very rarely baby sharks but only the teeth are preserved. LOL