Shark teeth frequencies

Jdeutsch

Are there surveys for shark teeth at various locations? For example- do the populations of teeth vary at Calvert Cliffs compared to Venice Beach compared to Sharktooth hill?

What factor does geologic age play in speciation?

Do different species shed teeth at different rates?

I'll guarantee you'll find more I. planus at Shark Tooth Hill than you will at Calvert Cliffs and Venice Beach put together. Lol!

I believe shark teeth run at about 110-135mhz. (that's Megalodon hurts!)

Edited by caldigger

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I think the geologic setting for every area is different and for that reason you will find a unique depositional environment. Here is a paper that addresses your question just at one locality Calvert Cliffs

calvert formation.pdf

Are there surveys for shark teeth at various locations? For example- do the populations of teeth vary at Calvert Cliffs compared to Venice Beach compared to Sharktooth hill?

What factor does geologic age play in speciation?

Do different species shed teeth at different rates?"

Reply:

Hello Jdeutsch, I do not have much expertise in the area of how to find Fossils but if you want to find Shark Teeth then you have A LOT of options because of the fact that the USA is a big place, If you are in, Lets say Calvert Cliffs, Then you have a chance of finding Shark teeth (Not accurate though) you may have 1000 times better chance somewhere either smaller or larger areas, Because of the fact that areas searched less often = More chance, But the fact is if you are in an area searched in forever, You will most of the time find more broken and less good things, But you have a chance of finding a Megalodon tooth, Because of the fact of the area being so popular for that Fossil,

Fossil Hunting Tips

I also would advise that you bring with you a large storage pot, The ones from DIY stores are the best, as they have separate storage sections, So they are perfect for collecting Shark Teeth, also don't forget to bring lighter clothes and make sure they are waterproof as this means that when It rains you will not get wet and muddy, This helps me when I am looking, And also the last Fossil hunting tip is to bring a bag to carry your biggest specimens, If you find something WAAY too hard to get, Example a Skeleton in a cliff, you may have to ask the Owners of that land for permission, And sometimes even Help, if you find something too heavy to pick up, (My advice is to hire a body builder, Or you could get a Forklift) Hehe, No my real advice is to bring along with you a Camera, Or a Phone that you can take pictures with, (No iPods as they have very bad pictures) I have done this with my trip to the Ammonite Graveyard in the United Kingdom, In Lyme Regis, And I got a canvas of the Huge Ammonite in the Rock from a website called MyPicture, But I got mine damaged, So for now, Lets say they are terrible, You can search for them on Google! So If you want anything else from me, Please Message me! Bye!