Question About Trace Fossils

DVL

A track or trace does not require replacement; it's basically an impression (mold) and/or a cast. So a dinosaur track, or some other trace, occupies the same material that existed at the time of its creation. The mud that a dinosaur stepped in to create the track is made up of the same granules that were later cemented together to form the hardened fossil. If this is true, then when a person touches a dinosaur track, he or she is touching some of the same grains of sand and mud that the dinosaur touched millions of years earlier. Of course they've been altered and possibly eroded a bit, but some of the grains would still be there. Is this correct?

I believe you are correct. It is an awesome feeling to know we can walk the same path, on the same material these amazing creatures did so long ago. I suppose a similar thing is true for most fossils since the matrix they are formed in is usually the sediment they came to rest in when they died unless they were transported by natural forces.

• I found this Informative 1

Yes that is correct!

Dinosaur Ridge in Morrison, CO has a beautiful track site.

Over 300 prints from 3 different species

These tracks show varying degrees of erosion but most are from the layer of mud just below the footprint.

Edited by FossilDudeCO
  • I found this Informative 1

A paleontologist once made the point that these footprints are incredible in that they can be seen as fossils of "behavior." Trace fossils of almost any sort tell us as much, if not more, about the "living" animal than the bones, shells or other body fossils we so love.

• I found this Informative 3