Going to New Jersey--Any Guides?

silverphoenix

I'm going to New Jersey on July 25th through the 29th. I think I will just have Sunday to fossil hunt. Can anyone tell me where to go or want to meet up to fossil hunt with me? I'm flying into Newark

I think your best bet is collecting Cretaceous fossils from the streams in Monmouth County- South of Raritan Bay- less than hour south of Newark. I won't be available but there are a number of Forum members who regularly hunt there. I'm sure somebody will be available to guide you. You'll need a screen with quarter inch mesh- less if you're search for micos and some type of hand shovel. You'll be walking and wading in shady shallow streams- actually quite pleasant on otherwise hot days. Good luck.

Hey Silverphoenix, I may be at summer camp on that weekend; however, if I am not, I am certainly down to go with you hunting in the brooks. Additionally, I can give you directions to all the spots I know and tell you about preparation and hunting techniques that apply to NJ streams.

Edited by Trevor

: )

Greetings Fellow HGMS member. My son and I went hunting here this past week. http://www.fossilguy.com/sites/bbrook/ to get info on Big Brook and Ramanessin Creek which are within 15 min of each other. We found teeth at both locations, including Goblin Shark, Cow Shark, Mackerel Shark, Enchodus, plus Ghost Shimp Claw segments and Bellemnite tips and sections. Also found what I think is gator tooth, but it has concentric rings up the tooth. Big Brook is easy access and parking. You can use the Google Map that is with the above hyperlink. Exit 117 on the Garden State Parkway and go West. As for Ramanessin Creek Park Trail we found a Trail Head and followed it down the creek and walked the creek all the way to a bridge and exited and walked a short distance back to the car. We wore our water shoes.

Oh nice!!! I think I will try out Big Brook then and see how my luck fairs. Anyone want to meet up? Preferably that has a 1/4" screen? Lol

I definitely want to collect both large and small fossils. Any tips on where to look would be appreciated. If there are any other sites that are close by, I would like to try those as well if possible. It's unfortunate that I will only have Sunday to look :/

Big Brook and the Ram will keep you busy all day and in the summer heat it is great collecting. You can also surface collect the gravel bars and even spot stuff in the clear water sometimes. Not sure how you are getting there but a simple screen to sieve for teeth really will make it more enjoyable. make a small 12" x 12" one from wood and hardware cloth and do a checked bag if you are flying. You can probably find a handful of old threads here on how to make a screen.

There is also decent collecting for Paleozoic fossils up in the NW corner of the state near PA and NY but you'll spend too much of the day driving. Enjoy the brooks instead.

Edited by erose

I hunted the creek up there a few years ago when I was working up that way. It reminded me of Post Oak Creek. You don't necessarily need a screen if you don't mind belly crawling gravel bars. Kind of neat finding the same species out there that we find here in the interior seaway!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'm arriving at 10:15 at the airport and plan to rent a car to drive to big brook. Anyone up to meet me there? Sort of short on waders/water shoes and a screen. Super last minute but if anyone can help out, I would greatly appreciate it and send you some nice fossils :)

Edited by silverphoenix

I can't be with you but I can give you some pointers. For your safety I would not have put my phone number in a forum post where thousands of people can see it. Send it through PM next time.

• I found this Informative 1

: )