Anyone have a CLOSE UP pic of a small bird leg/foot?

Lori LuvsFossils

I'm not finding the view I'm searching for. I see a few members have posted pictures of birds, even one pic of nothing but a leg.....but I need a CLOSE view. Do they have little sections/lines like a chicken leg?

If anyone can add a photo of a bird leg &/or foot, I'd appreciate the help! Thanks!

Lori-

No they don't have little section lines like a chicken leg. Those are scales and do not generally fossilize. I imagine you are trying to ID a Green River Fm bone with little section lines. What you have is probably a large fish fin or tail bone.

My money is on Large Diplo or Mio jaw :P

I found one of those a couple weeks ago and almost peed myself!

(only to have my dreams crushed like a peanut under a bulldozer by Adam.....)

Edited by FossilDudeCO

Lori-

No they don't have little section lines like a chicken leg. Those are scales and do not generally fossilize. I imagine you are trying to ID a Green River Fm bone with little section lines. What you have is probably a large fish fin or tail bone.

I understand the bones themselves wouldn't have tiny sections, but I'm wondering if I'm seeing SCALES on the fish why I wouldn't see SKIN/SCALES/SCUTES on a bird bone or a lizard bone? But you are saying that likely wouldn't fossilize. Hummmmmmmmm I'm still deep in thought.... These sections are so uniform!

I keep telling myself it's an exploded fish with bones that haven't preserved well, in the shape of something better, but excitement gets the best of me. I've taken a couple of other photos, but thought I would do my homework before I turned to the ID section. ;-)

post-11638-0-43640900-1468412560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lori LuvsFossils

My money is on Large Diplo or Mio jaw :P

I found one of those a couple weeks ago and almost peed myself!

(only to have my dreams crushed like a peanut under a bulldozer by Adam.....)

Hahahaha! Make regular trips up the hill to the outhouse, just in case you find something major. The rest of us will have a hard time leaning over it with you if you've made a mess. Baaahahahaha!!!!

I've literally found 1000's of Gar scales & don't really think that's it, but I'll look closer. I'll also take a long hard look at Mio tails. THANKS SO MUCH !!

Geesh you guys could tell how tall a kid is from a close up of a freckle !!!!! I've zoomed in on a photo I took of a large Mio tail I prepped. You're right !!! Just for kicks, I'm going to add another couple of pics to show you how confusing this was for me. Another example of mother natures sense of humor.

post-11638-0-42170800-1468449598_thumb.jpg

post-11638-0-17842300-1468449664_thumb.jpg

post-11638-0-50380000-1468449725_thumb.jpg