Post Oak Creek

CreekCrawler

Hello all, I made a trip to POC today for a few hours. The rain events that we had really moved some earth and gravel under the Travis street bridge.I came away with a few keepers.There were some local kids there playing in the creek.I told them I was fossil hunting and they became a little more curious. So here is this 7 year old boy standing right next to me and he reaches down and pulls up this pretty large piece of tortoise carapace.He says is this anything....I say no and make up some story about how it's just weathered rock.He turned his head and that piece went right into my pocket ;) I felt a little bad about doing that,but I really don't think he would appreciate a nice piece of the giant land Tortoise like I would.I had fun and am ready to go back and spend a full day there.

post-417-1243199058_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243199099_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243199118_thumb.jpg

Oh, Barry you didn't! That is so wrong..........yet I'm laughing, go figure. Well, glad you had fun, its not every day you get to go out and swindle a child out of his find :P ! Oh, and the teeth are pretty awesome to.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Oh, Barry you didn't! That is so wrong..........yet I'm laughing, go figure. Well, glad you had fun, its not every day you get to go out and swindle a child out of his find :P ! Oh, and the teeth are pretty awesome to.

Too funny - that was pretty sneaky Barry!

Do Synagouges have confessionals??? heh heh heh

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Well now I know Im gonna have to watch my finds around your little sticky fingers. Actually, this has been cracking me up all day. I laugh every time I think about you swindling that kid out of his find. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

You would not have pulled that move on Sheldon..... :D

Cool finds by the way.

cool maked me laugh

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

This is not giant tortoise. Likely box turtle.

Hmmm.wouldn't be any box turt that I know of.This piece is 1/2" thick.

At least he didn't grab the find, shove the kid into the river and make his escape on the bike the kid rode to the river......................please tell me that wasn't how it really went down Barry.

Nice finds, I love it.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

They were considerably larger during the Pleistocene.

Wow, they must have been! I wonder what the straight line carapace measurement would be on an adult in the Pleistocene.Would they be similar in size to a Leopard tortoise or even bigger like a Red Foot Tortoise? Or maybe even attain the size of an adult Burmese Mt Tort. I'm assuming they had the hinged plastron like the modern box turtles?????

thanks for the proper ID

At least he didn't grab the find, shove the kid into the river and make his escape on the bike the kid rode to the river......................please tell me that wasn't how it really went down Barry.

Nice finds, I love it.

Brian

I still feel kinda ashamed about it! I only held his head underwater for 3 minutes :P

I got a little protective over the hunting grounds.Don't ask me why,but I was thinking about all the locals out at the Sulphur ramsacking that place.Didn't want to see that happen to POC.

next time tell them you are looking for glass :P Theres enough of that there for everyone.

That is just wrong, but I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice finds, and saves. I know what you mean about the NSR, the other day I drove around to 5 different bridges, they were all full, then it started raining again!!!!!!!

• New Members

You guys are condoning taking advantage of a little kid? Priceless. After you go to POC 50 more times where's that piece going to be in your collection? You could have told him what he found, explained how he can research it on the internet, and maybe put a new paleontologist into the world. Although it would be a drag to have some little kids pulling shark teeth out of "your" POC site. Nice haul.

I'm sure he is just pulling our collective legs. Besides, an unattended 7 year old has no business down in that area.

You guys are condoning taking advantage of a little kid? Priceless. After you go to POC 50 more times where's that piece going to be in your collection? You could have told him what he found, explained how he can research it on the internet, and maybe put a new paleontologist into the world. Although it would be a drag to have some little kids pulling shark teeth out of "your" POC site. Nice haul.

No one is condoning taking advantage of little kids. I know Barry and I know he took the opportunity to talk to the boys and explain what was down in that creek. If Barry had seen even a smidgen of real interest in any of those boys eyes about the paleo world he would have taken the kid under his wing and told him everything he wanted to know. More than likely, even if the kid had know what he was holding he would have thrown it down anyway. If the kid thought it was cool he would have kept it no matter what Barry told him it was. Barry is a good guy don't judge him.

Alfred North Whithead

I don't believe that story for a minute; Barry is a great guy (except for the way he pulls our legs).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm sure he is just pulling our collective legs. Besides, an unattended 7 year old has no business down in that area

This is Tx...remember :)

I'm terrible with age guessing.He might have been 9 or 10.His sister was younger.Those two were romping around in that river barefoot. They really didn't care about the fossils,but they enjoyed the Dragonfly larvae that I was sifting up.Makes great bait! They were totally unsupervised which was a surprise to me.

Yes, I will agree, Barry is a great guy and I don't think he was taking advantage of the kiddo's. When me and Sheldon hunted with him, you would not believe the teeth that kept throwing our way.

I am amazed by the unsupervision of kiddo's. Me and Sheldon last year were in a small creek by where I work. There were 2 little girls totally unsupervised in the creek when we got there. I would say they were between 6 and 8 years old. I was real surprised when Sheldon -13 pointed it out to me that those girls should not be here alone. A little while later an older girl showed up from somehere she was about 10. When we left they were still in the creek with not adult supervision.

People do not watch there kiddos they way they should and then they don't understand how bad things happen to them.

No one is condoning taking advantage of little kids. I know Barry and I know he took the opportunity to talk to the boys and explain what was down in that creek. If Barry had seen even a smidgen of real interest in any of those boys eyes about the paleo world he would have taken the kid under his wing and told him everything he wanted to know. More than likely, even if the kid had know what he was holding he would have thrown it down anyway. If the kid thought it was cool he would have kept it no matter what Barry told him it was. Barry is a good guy don't judge him.

I have been hunting with Barry at NSR when he took a pair of young college kids under his wing. Showed them where to look, what to look for and gave up finding fossils for him self to help them out. He is a good guy.