New To This And Need Help:(

john77

• New Members

Hi everyone I am new to this and was wondering if someone could help me Identify whether this is a rock or a bone fossil. I have only been hunting for fossils since last summer, after my family and I took a short trip upstate. My kids and I had a lot of fun doing it. This spring I had a few shipments of fill dumped in my back yard to level it off and right away my kids started digging, that’s when my youngest found what I assume is a fossil or volcanic rock. It resembles the bones found in the hand or paw of an animal but I really don’t know. I think the shipment came from Pennsylvania or upstate NY. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all.

John

post-1700-1243213325_thumb.jpg

post-1700-1243213360_thumb.jpg

post-1700-1243213394_thumb.jpg

post-1700-1243213407_thumb.jpg

post-1700-1243213433_thumb.jpg

post-1700-1243213447_thumb.jpg

post-1700-1243213459_thumb.jpg

john - welcome to the forum. there is a lot of good stuff here to read about that will help you.

unfortunately, i don't think your find is a fossil. almost anyone who searches much will find some very interesting rocks that get their hopes up. i've saved several of the ones that fooled me the worst. just keep studying up on the stuff and eventually you'll be able to spot bone fairly easily.

regards,

tracer

It's a fascinating piece; looks like a nodule of some sort, but not a fossil.

Your photos are really good! Most folks new to the Forum have "less-than-optimal" results the first few times they try to post a pic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I also thinks it is just a cool rock. I to pick up many rocks that I am not sure of as I learn more and more I go thru them and most in up in the rock. But what do I know I bought the fossil duck foot.

Welcome to the forum

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Very good pictures :) high detail without a large file size wish everyone would post pics that good :P

Guest solius symbiosus

"upstate NY"...

<as he wipes the drool from his key board>

You are in an area that has produced some of the finest Paleozoic fossils ever found. Welcome to the forum, and what part of the state are you in?

I have collected the area a couple of times, and hope to return "up there" this summer.

• New Members

Thanks everyone for the quick an informative response. I pretty much figured it was a rock; bone would be more porous I would think. Its neat how it looks almost like fused bone though definitely a keeper ether way. I live on long island and all we ever find out here is Indian arrow heads and stuff that washes up on the beach. Not the best place for fossils:(

Welcome to the forum from Texas, It is an interesting rock, I sure found my share of them.

I also thinks it is just a cool rock. I to pick up many rocks that I am not sure of as I learn more and more I go thru them and most in up in the rock. But what do I know I bought the fossil duck foot.

Welcome to the forum

Tell me you really didn't buy that, did you?