Mammoth Tooth Milnerton Beach?

Afrikaner

Hi all,

Sunday morning I left early for milnerton beach it was still a bit dark when I arrived.

I was sitting in the car and saw someone with a flash light on the beach, I tried

it ones myself but didn’t like it and I think it’s to dangers in SA.

The water was far out and there where only a bit of shell on the high water mark,

same as Saturday when I found 3 small shark teeth.

The guy with the flash light had found nothing and I walked along the high water

mark when some other hunters arrived on the beach.

After half an hour I had found one small perfect black Mako lower jaw tooth

and decided to go home for break feast and walked along the lagoon as a guy waded a cross the lagoon with a big black thing under his arm.

Some other guys met up with him and the conversation got a bit louder, he had found a piece of jaw with what looked to me a big mammoth tooth.

I couldn’t believe it, I had never seen a tooth like that in real, the others left the guy after a wile to look for more shark teeth but I was so fascinated from this big tooth that I stayed and listened what the finder and his friend where going to do with the tooth.

As the discussion reached a point where the one suggested to “break the bone of to expose the tooth” I made an offer and bought the Jaw right there and brought it home safely :D .

Now I’m the proud owner of a mammoth tooth B) ????

Regards from Cape Town

Werner

post-943-1243224653_thumb.jpg

post-943-1243224669_thumb.jpg

post-943-1243224684_thumb.jpg

post-943-1243224697_thumb.jpg

post-943-1243224721_thumb.jpg

post-943-1243224734_thumb.jpg

post-943-1243224750_thumb.jpg

Better a bad Day at the Beach than a good Day at the

Office!

Thanks Guys

so it is a mammoth tooth :D .

Regards

Werner

Office!

well its either a mammoth tooth or a very old elephant tooth either way its cool. B)

Guest N.AL.hunter

Great story. I am glad you were able to buy it and prevent it from being broken. I hope you keep posting to the forum because I like hearing from other far off places like SA.

HOLY COW. Im sure this is why some accidemics dont want amatures messing around with fossils. But my jaw dropped to the floor when i read that part of your post about the guy wanting to destroy the last bit of jaw bone to expose the tooth. What an IDIOT!!! Good on ya though for buying it. Nice piece!

RB

Very nice do not think I have see one in bone before

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Thank's Guy's and Girl :)

for your comments I will keep you posted from this side of the world.

I like the piece very much but I would like it even more if it would be a Meg Tooth in the Jaw B)B)B) .

Happy hunting

Werner

post-943-1243309466_thumb.jpg

post-943-1243309440_thumb.jpg

Office!

Hi Werner,

What a great addition for your collection and some quick thinking on your part. B)

Hi Werner,

What a great addition for your collection and some quick thinking on your part. B)

Thanks Jim,

you would hate me when I would tell you how much I paid for the Tooth :DB)B) .

Office!

Okay, Im pretty dumb still when it comes to fossils but even I know not to do something like that! Im so glad you were there to save it from someone who doesn't even register on the how stupid are you scale. Great save and find.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Okay, Im pretty dumb still when it comes to fossils but even I know not to do something like that! Im so glad you were there to save it from someone who doesn't even register on the how stupid are you scale. Great save and find.

I found out that the Tooth is from mammutus subplanifrons,

fossils from this species have been found before in South Africa.

Werner

Office!