Any Ideas ?

ollie

Hi new member here, was wondering if anyone can tell me what this is ? it was found in alberta last year in kananaskis . sorry about quality of the pics this is best i can do with the camera i have. any ideas ??? thanks ollie

post-1689-1243273007_thumb.jpg

post-1689-1243273032_thumb.jpg

post-1689-1243273166_thumb.jpg

post-1689-1243273186_thumb.jpg

Hey Ollie welcome from Galveston Texas. Looks like granite to me but hard to tell by pics

granite.bmp

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Hey Ollie welcome from Galveston Texas. Looks like granite to me but hard to tell by pics

Thanks for the reply, its not Granite its shell like blueish, grayish in color

Sorry can not see the pics very well will keep trying

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

If it's mother of pearl (and not mica), then it might be "shell hash" from a very high-energy depositional environment.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

shell hash? can you explain this term to me please ? triedd to take better pics hope these help. the funny thing about the area i found these two pieces in it was a long gorge with a small stream running through and cliffs at least 300 ft on both sides lots of loose shale everywhere and these two bits, nothing else i looked for awhile. thanks

post-1689-1243284577_thumb.jpg

post-1689-1243284595_thumb.jpg

post-1689-1243284619_thumb.jpg

post-1689-1243284642_thumb.jpg

shell hash? can you explain this term to me please ?

You've probably noticed areas at the beach where the broken bits and pieces of seashells accumulate? If that assemblage gets covered up and buried under a few hundred feet of sediment, it might eventually "turn to stone".

'Shell Hash' is slang for that sort of thing; 'seafloor hash' if it contains a wider assortment of more complete things.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

strong storm or wave action or other "high energy" environment beats the shells into pieces so they form a "hash". then other geological and chemical processes over time form a stony sedimentary matrix around the pieces. bottom line - they got beat up, buried, encased in rock, and then much later uncovered and split off, and then you found them.

but i can't prove this. i was in the bathroom when it happened. i make it a point to never witness lithification.

just how i roll.

welcome to the forum.

Hello from Texas, welcome to the forum. Looks like shell hash to me.

Cheers all, thanks for your responses i appreciate it. ollie

p.s this site is awesome, spent 5 hours here one day poking around. :P