Mazon Creek Nodule Need Id

sweeneyb

I just finished opening some mazon creek nodules and need some help IDing them. Thank you in advance for your help! Also will be going to Aurora again tomorrow to fill up a bunch of buckets for microfossils if anyone wants some let me know. Hopefully the picture quality is good enough.

post-502-1243388518_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243388542_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243388567_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243388581_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243388595_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243389114_thumb.jpg

No disrespect to your fossils intended, but I don't see much there :unsure: . Is there any relief in them that might be revealed by low angle lighting? It seems to be customary to call all amorphous blobs in Mazon nodules "jellyfish", though I question whether some such might not be items that failed to preserve.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

No disrespect to your fossils intended, but I don't see much there :unsure: . Is there any relief in them that might be revealed by low angle lighting? It seems to be customary to call all amorphous blobs in Mazon nodules "jellyfish", though I question whether some such might not be items that failed to preserve.

No disrespect taken I wasnt sure if they were anything just wanted to make sure. I think that the 2 and 4 are something though. To me it looks like the second one is a shrimp but not sure and the 4th looks like a faint jellyfish.

I see what you mean in both of them, with #2 being a little more subjective on my lousy screen.

There are a couple members that can probably cite them chapter-and-verse; hopefully they'll weigh in.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

All of your fossils are examples of Essexella asherae (most commonly found fossil in the Essex fauna) except for #2. It is a decent example of Kallidecthes richardsoni (shrimp).

They appear to all have been collected from the South end of Pit 11.

Rob

sweeneyb........ Ive found fishscales that have a similar type of preservation contained within siderite nodules here in the UK... Its difficult to tie them down to genus, as they are firmly attached to both sides of the nodule and effectively split in two when you pop them so the markings are damaged... I have found some very beautiful ones upto over 2" across filling a nodule just like your specimens and some retain the scale like markings.... A couple of yours look 'scale shaped'.... The only one I have a photo of at the moment is this one containing a few scales.....

post-1630-1243414714_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)