What is Cory's Lane RI like?

Philosoraptor

Me and my family might be wanting to take a trip to Cory's Lane but they want to know what the actual site is like i.e. is it family friendly,what's the parking like, what the actual beach is like, etc. Any information on where to collect would be useful as well. Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Me and my family might be wanting to take a trip to Cory's Lane but they want to know what the actual site is like i.e. is it family friendly,what's the parking like, what the actual beach is like, etc. Any information on where to collect would be useful as well. Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, there is a very small parking lot at the end of Cory's Lane.

post-2806-0-53849500-1470854111_thumb.jp

You have to go at low tide, however, as that is when the shale is best exposed.

Look for black shale, and it seems the best things come from the beach level, rather than overhead.

Search the Forum (or Google) for more info.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There's spots for about 6 cars at the end of the street by some active train tracks. You can also park along the side of the street in some spots. The beach itself is all slimy rock since the site is only accessible at low tide. It's not so gross up by the bedrock that you actually dig in, but the shale does have an oily consistency. All i'm saying is be prepared to get dirty! I've seen people further off swimming in the bay, or hanging out with pets/friends on the beach near the parking area. It's a very family friendly spot I would say, but don't expect to dig your feet into the sand B)

Read my post towards the bottom of this thread for some tips. Upon arriving if you're staring at the ocean you walk a couple hundred yards to the right, up the beach until you see an overhang area where it looks like people have been splitting shale. Also be sure to bring a rock hammer/cold chisels.

Edited by Bguild
  • I found this Informative 2