Up Date On Echinoid Nursery

jpbowden

I have had the time to go out and check the rock in which these small fossils were found, though more collecting is still needed. So far what has become apparent is that they are and do not have any thing to do with echinoids. The start out as strings pretty much as frog eggs and grow to a size and then break apart at which time what is on the inside is released. I have counted up to fourteen nodules and there maybe many more, as they seem to have broken apart. At first well maybe they were Foraminiferida, but no, these all start at the same size and grow to the same size as seen on the chain. So, what are they, to me they are not oysters.LOL They are Goodland formation.

post-749-1243447568_thumb.jpg post-749-1243447577_thumb.jpg post-749-1243447591_thumb.jpgpost-749-1243447605_thumb.jpg

post-749-1243447614_thumb.jpgpost-749-1243447760_thumb.jpg

Forgive the pecten.

post-749-1243447629_thumb.jpg

I have been showing these to some of my buds and one sent me this and he may have something, Cephalapod eggs........

Eggs

Interesting. They look like tiny black olives. :)

Could they be some type of seed?

Interesting. They look like tiny black olives. :)

Could they be some type of seed?

Deep water, no vegetation, lots of cephalapod remains, lot's reef stuff and reef oysters.

No, strings of egg case's, up to 14 from what I could count. Goodland Formation lots of life at that time doing it's best to reproduce. They had to leave something behind.

This is just too cool! Talk about careful observation...

Eggs are a candidate; can we try to rule out coprolites?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is just too cool! Talk about careful observation...

Eggs are a candidate; can we try to rule out coprolites?

They are hollow on the inside.