River Crawling

CreekCrawler

Hello, I'm going to check out the Sulphur River this Saturday.I'm not sure if I will go to the North or South, but I'll definately be at the Sulphur!If anyone would like to join me they are welcome.PM me if anyone is willing to brave the heat :)

thanks

Hello, I'm going to check out the Sulphur River this Saturday.I'm not sure if I will go to the North or South, but I'll definately be at the Sulphur!If anyone would like to join me they are welcome.PM me if anyone is willing to brave the heat :)

thanks

Im not sure if id like the heat, but Ive always wanted to hunt the sulpher river, or at least the red clays or red beds there. We had a real scorching 58 degrees here today, but the wind factor probably brought that down to about 50? Sure is nice to have this toasty weather now. That cold was gettin real old!!!

RB

Im not sure if id like the heat, but Ive always wanted to hunt the sulpher river, or at least the red clays or red beds there. We had a real scorching 58 degrees here today, but the wind factor probably brought that down to about 50? Sure is nice to have this toasty weather now. That cold was gettin real old!!!

RB

Barry - I'd love to except I'll likely be camping on the Guadalupe! Unfortunately our campsite is mired in a limestone desert with virtually no fossils...

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

RB

I would trade for that weather any day!I hope you can make it over to the Sulphur one day. It's a neat place!

Barry - I'd love to except I'll likely be camping on the Guadalupe! Unfortunately our campsite is mired in a limestone desert with virtually no fossils...

Have fun Owen! I haven't been to the Guadalupe in many years.Please take some pics!And watch out for the serpents.They are out in full force now!

Have fun Owen! I haven't been to the Guadalupe in many years.Please take some pics!And watch out for the serpents.They are out in full force now!

The chiggers are WAY worse than any snake we'll likely encounter! Lots o poison iveeeeee tooooooo! :wacko:

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I hate chiggers. Give me a cloud of mosquitoes any day over chiggers.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

I wish I could go!!!! Unfortunately, I told my mother I would come for a visit <_< . I hope you have fun!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I hate chiggers. Give me a cloud of mosquitoes any day over chiggers.

I agree,I've heard that you can smother the chiggers on you with cooking oil or vaseline.It supposedly smothers the little devils.No-Seeum's = No-Fun!

snarge Snakey--I was going to see if you wanted to tag along with me for some Phymosomas and Tetragrammas on a Salado property I recently got permission to go on. Oh well. Some other time.

Ive never had 'chiggers'. May I ask what they are?

RB

Thet are the Spawn of Satan, spreading misery throughout the South :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_mite

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Chiggers and ticks SUCK. Everthing in Texas bites, stings, pokes, envenoms, etc. Every fossil hunt is like Survivor Man. I have emerged triumphant, however.

I just keep a LARGE can of bug spray in my vehicle, before I put my feet on the ground, I hold my legs out the door and spray. It hasn't failed me yet. Ain't nothing worse than a bad case of chiggers, cause you scratch so much, they think you found some crabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

I just keep a LARGE can of bug spray in my vehicle, before I put my feet on the ground, I hold my legs out the door and spray. It hasn't failed me yet. Ain't nothing worse than a bad case of chiggers, cause you scratch so much, they think you found some crabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o :o

No Doubt! I always hated the stupid bleach baths my grandma would give me. I got into them last week real good and now parts of me look like I have the chicken pox.

Oh, and by the way if anyone tells you to ever put clear fingernail polish on the bite.......FOR GODS SAKE DON'T DO IT! Especially if you already scratched that spot. Burns like hell!!!!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

RB

What Aupsex said!

Consider yourself fortunate. Imagine a mosquito that could crawl up your pants leg and bite you in a strategic spot. They particularly like spots underneath elastic bands. It itches 10 times worse than a mosquito, can be painful, turn bright red, and typically ooze for a few days.

Chiggers and ticks SUCK. Everthing in Texas bites, stings, pokes, envenoms, etc. Every fossil hunt is like Survivor Man. I have emerged triumphant, however.

Haha. Some plant kept stinging my elbow last Saturday. I never could figure out which one it was, because I didn't see any stinging plants I recognized and I didn't want to touch any of them with my fingers.

No Doubt! I always hated the stupid bleach baths my grandma would give me. I got into them last week real good and now parts of me look like I have the chicken pox.

Oh, and by the way if anyone tells you to ever put clear fingernail polish on the bite.......FOR GODS SAKE DON'T DO IT! Especially if you already scratched that spot. Burns like hell!!!!

Too late, been there done that. Sometimes it gets so bad that you will do what ever anyone tells you to do if there is a chance in 1 million that it will work.

I know whatcha mean. Something stung me on the knee two months ago and it still itches. Have no idea what it was

RB

No chiggers..........really? I thought they were everywhere. Chiggers are a mite that are so small you can barely see them. They like to bite you in the tender areas of your body like the ankles, and waist line as well as other places your clothes are tight on you body. Chiggers are actually vegetarians but as juveniles live off of mammals. They do not suck blood but instead inject an enzyme that dissolves the skin around it, so basically they are melting your skin and sucking it up with a straw..........Yummy!!! This is one reason they itch like a son of a biscuit. You never get just one chigger at a time, they prefer the mass attack strategy and the bite's will itch for weeks.

Let me guess no fire ants either.

Alfred North Whithead

I know whatcha mean. Something stung me on the knee two months ago and it still itches. Have no idea what it was

Probably a spider bite.I get them from time to time at my house.I have a couple of spiders that I let live in my house.

The bites seem to itch for many days after the bite.They say you can't feel it when a spider bites....only the after affect. And I agree!

By the way how far would Salado be from Dallas????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The chiggers are WAY worse than any snake we'll likely encounter! Lots o poison iveeeeee tooooooo! :wacko:

Ticks suck. I had to pull 2 off me the other day while walking thru waist deep weeds to get to a creek. Felt one crawling up my neck. Sneeky little devils.

Probably a spider bite.I get them from time to time at my house.I have a couple of spiders that I let live in my house.

The bites seem to itch for many days after the bite.They say you can't feel it when a spider bites....only the after affect. And I agree!

By the way how far would Salado be from Dallas????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Okay then :blink: !!! Note to self, stay away from Barry's house.

Alfred North Whithead

Okay then :blink: !!! Note to self, stay away from Barry's house.

Yes please do! Your eyes are so good that you might find a beautiful fossil that I may have dropped around here :P

Who knows there might be more than one :o I'm about to head out to the Sulphur....wish me luck!

Uhmmm........okay, but I'm bringing a can of raid with me!!! Good Luck hunting!!!

I'm going to Mom's to fish!! Wish Me luck.

Alfred North Whithead