River Crawling

CreekCrawler

Well I'm back from a long arduous journey that encompassed maybe 3 1/2 to 4 miles of river perusing.

There was a tremendous amount of silt that has accumulated on the rocks and shale in the area I was at.Which made collecting a little difficult.I was able to manage a few nice specimens with the Xiphactinus jawbone being the find of the day.Not many verts this trip,only two worn sections.I made up for the verts with the ammonites which came pretty easy.Also found a nice gastropod and bivalve with great preservation. Got some keepers and braved the heat which was really not a problem. Just helping me get used to some extreme heat, which I know is around the corner.

thanks

post-417-1243745289_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243745315_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243745331_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243745346_thumb.jpg

I don't like you anymore!! :D That Xiphactinus jawbone is super cool! Glad you had fun! Wish I had been able to get out and hunt today. The fishing was horrid and my mom drove me crazy.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice jaw bone, looks like that guy needed some serious dental work. Great finds Barry.

Hey you two late upper nighters.Here is a pic of one of the trachys in situ and as released from it's tomb.

post-417-1243746823_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243746844_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243746879_thumb.jpg

Oops wait a minute.I think this one is a Menabites the more I look at it.

Definately not a Trachyscaphites!Sorry!

Oh, I like that! I am definitely going to go hit some creeks tomorrow!! By the way, I still don't like you and I'm jealous. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Nice jaw bone, looks like that guy needed some serious dental work. Great finds Barry.

I'm sure his teeth were fine before the river got ahold of them :D

There are four large sockets where there were some mighty big teeth.

Boy it would have been something else if the teeth would have been intact.

There are a few smaller teeth and broken pieces between the four large sockets.

That X-Fish must have packed qiute a whollop :o

Oh, I like that! I am definitely going to go hit some creeks tomorrow!! By the way, I still don't like you and I'm jealous. :D

Don't get jealous.....Get Even!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get jealous.....Get Even!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Im gonna!! You just wait. :P

Alfred North Whithead

Hey you two late upper nighters.Here is a pic of one of the trachys in situ and as released from it's tomb.

post-417-1243746823_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243746844_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243746879_thumb.jpg

Oops wait a minute.I think this one is a Menabites the more I look at it.

Definately not a Trachyscaphites!Sorry!

Very nice Barry, I love checking out the red beds for things like that. Last weekend when I was there I found a " I don't know what it is" from there. It is distorted but it is not like any I have found there before and nothing like it in the book.

Very nice Barry, I love checking out the red beds for things like that. Last weekend when I was there I found a " I don't know what it is" from there. It is distorted but it is not like any I have found there before and nothing like it in the book.

Well are ya gonna show us Mommabetts? Please!! I love looking at I don't knowums.

Alfred North Whithead

Nice jaw section , those are always fun to find .

I have still to find a ammonite there and wow those more than the fish or sea lizard stuff .

Nice finds !

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

Man Barry, you've been knocking them out of the park, lately! Hey, is that a shed shark tooth on the left part of the jaw????

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hey, is that a shed shark tooth on the left part of the jaw????

Hi John, it looks to be a small X-tooth that's part of the original piece. It's the only point left on the piece -_-

I'll work on the jaw tonight to expose some more of the tooth sections that are there.

Nice stuff, Snakesy. What is the tubular thingee on the left middle side of the group photo? I ask because I found something just like it near Lake Lewisville. That ammonite is in really condition!

Salado is maybe 2 and a half hrs from Dallas. It is about 45 minutes North of Austin.

I really don't have anybody to go fossil hunting with anymore. Sad. Everybody I know is from the video game field and they are wusses who would go out into the wild if their lives depended on it.

Nice stuff, Snakesy. What is the tubular thingee on the left middle side of the group photo? I ask because I found something just like it near Lake Lewisville. That ammonite is in really condition!

Thanks It's just an interesting weathered piece of chalk.I've found a couple of them out there.

I'm somewhat of a gamer, PC that is. Right now I'm playing Medal of Honor 2, Big Quake fan.Hidden and Dangerous...etc; I'll make it down there sometime this year! I'll bring my Echinoid bag :P

Snakekeeper -

I'll be interested in seeing that jaw once it's cleaned up....I'm thinking it's a big Pachyrhizodus. They have teeth that are more regularly sized and X-fish teeth are more snaggle toothed. They are small at the back and get really big to the front. Pachy teeth have little bulbous areas at the root....look a lot like little mosasaur jaws. Cool find, regardless!

Just a note to stop ticks and chiggers, take cream of sulfur tables a few days before you go in the bush, they would come near you.

I agree,I've heard that you can smother the chiggers on you with cooking oil or vaseline.It supposedly smothers the little devils.No-Seeum's = No-Fun!

Clear nail polish works too.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

No Doubt! I always hated the stupid bleach baths my grandma would give me. I got into them last week real good and now parts of me look like I have the chicken pox.

Oh, and by the way if anyone tells you to ever put clear fingernail polish on the bite.......FOR GODS SAKE DON'T DO IT! Especially if you already scratched that spot. Burns like hell!!!!

Don't scratch! Anything will make it burn then. :P Also, camphophonic(?) works well. Best is prevention, spray on Deep Woods Off before you go out.

Well I'm back from a long arduous journey that encompassed maybe 3 1/2 to 4 miles of river perusing.

There was a tremendous amount of silt that has accumulated on the rocks and shale in the area I was at.Which made collecting a little difficult.I was able to manage a few nice specimens with the Xiphactinus jawbone being the find of the day.Not many verts this trip,only two worn sections.I made up for the verts with the ammonites which came pretty easy.Also found a nice gastropod and bivalve with great preservation. Got some keepers and braved the heat which was really not a problem. Just helping me get used to some extreme heat, which I know is around the corner.

thanks

post-417-1243745289_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243745315_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243745331_thumb.jpgpost-417-1243745346_thumb.jpg

Way to go! B) Nice haul! That jaw looks like Mosasaur.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I must agree that the jaw might not be a Xaphactinus. To me the bone/jaw looks too thin and roundish. But your sure did find some nice stuff river crawling.

Snakekeeper -

I'll be interested in seeing that jaw once it's cleaned up....I'm thinking it's a big Pachyrhizodus. They have teeth that are more regularly sized and X-fish teeth are more snaggle toothed. They are small at the back and get really big to the front. Pachy teeth have little bulbous areas at the root....look a lot like little mosasaur jaws. Cool find, regardless!

Allright ,now I'm 0-100 as far as ID's go..... :o:D:D

The teeth look so much like the single X-fish tooth that I have.

I'll take some better shots of the jawbone and broken teeth.The teeth that are left in the jaw are very smooth ,almost glass like. I didn't realize that a Pachy would have such large teeth!

Just a note to stop ticks and chiggers, take cream of sulfur tables a few days before you go in the bush, they would come near you.

I hate to bring this back up, but you guy's can put everything in the world on this and it will not work like Cream of Tartar w/Sulfur, it will make the leave if they are in deep and then kill them, it will stop, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, flies, and just about anything even leaches. Worked in everywhere I've ever been and never had and infection. Heck stopped mosquitoes for a year, and it don't burn the skin, works from within. I used to get it from the military but haven't in years but now found it at Dews' Twenty First Century Products, their in Denton,Tx. under the name Red Arrow™ Lemon & Cream of Tartar w/Sulfur.

Try Here

This is not spam just trying to help you guy's out.