Small Bivalve Of Partial Vertebrate?

jeremyh

This fossil seems to be either a vertebrate or a small bivalve. As there is other bivalves upon this matrix I would feel inclined to call it one, but the lines are horizantal, and there seems to be segments in between the lines. Also the lines are closer then any bivalve I have. I have internal and external casts, but none are like this maybe you all could help. The structure is about 3/4s an inch long, and 1/2 an inch wide. Also I where I found this fossil(my yard) I found plants and many other bivalves. This is definately not very old, post ice age, found near a creek. Altitiude 1400 feet if that matters. Well if anyone gots an idea please let me know. Thanks

post-1565-1243470915_thumb.jpg

post-1565-1243470924_thumb.jpg

post-1565-1243470936_thumb.jpg

Why do you think that it is "definately not very old"?

It has been a rather long time since there was a sea there, and I see a shell impression in the same matrix :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Why do you think that it is "definately not very old"?

It has been a rather long time since there was a sea there, and I see a shell impression in the same matrix :)

Well I mean thousands of years, cuz the rock I find thses in is blue. If that helps,lol. I was told fossils in my area are post ice age, as where I am was once a large river, meaning this was a freshwater bivalve. Unless that person is completely wrong,lol. Yea their is a few bivalves on the matrix.

They may mean that some of the local rocks were transported by glacier, but that one looks Paleozoic to me!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

O maybe, dang I have a dozen of so I found in my yard,lol. I will post some more pics for ya then. That would explain why I found I plenty with them. Also why is the shale blue?

Okay I cant find them now,lol. When i do I will post them.