What is this in amber?

cheney416

I really really want to know what is this. i attached better picture(maybe not better). please help me!

-amber is from Colombia

post-22108-0-49866800-1470560019_thumb.jpg

Edited by cheney416

That's a nicely colored piece. Just a guess, but plant debris. I acquired 2 pounds of Columbian "amber" years ago and had a great time polishing it. The pieces were large and full of inclusions. I obtained this material from a reputable dealer, who asserted it was amber and provided an "age." Later I became aware that there was controversy regarding this material. The material I have is soluble in acetone. It is properly IDed as copal, not amber. Copal may broadly be considered young amber, that has not completely undergone polymerization. This is a function of age. I have come to believe that material from Columbia is only a few thousand years old as opposed to the span of millions for true amber.

Consult this post for testing info. Copal will pass every "amber test," except the acetone trial.

Is my Amber necklace real? - Fossil ID - The Fossil Forum

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 8

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

How do you polish Snolly? I've always wondered. Rock tumbler?

Hello John, I employed fine grit, wet sandpaper - the type that is used between coats of automotive finishes. Obviously, courser grit may be used to take out unwanted uneven surfaces. The actual polishing was done with a material made for just that purpose. Its name eludes me. It was manufactured in Europe and arrived in the form of a large, light tan bar. The material had a firm clay-like consistency. This was loaded onto a small cloth wheel spun by a Dremel tool. It polished the soft amber/copal with ease.

Amber fracture easily. I'm afraid with a rock tumbler you would end up with a canister of dust.

Edit: I am mistaken. In searching for the name of the polishing compound I employed I ran across a detailed account of tumble polishing amber, employing various successive media.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

The clay-like stuff is normally just called "polishing compound". You can buy it in different grit sizes, and it is just like fine mud.

Don't use high speed on the dremmel cotton wheel unless you test it on an unimportant part first. The high speed polishing can cause hot spots from friction, and chemically alter the specimen, creating burn marks.

• I found this Informative 1