It Came From Tn.

diggerdan

I want to thank everyone for the help I have been getting with my fossil Ids. It is nice to find so many people who share my interest in fossiling, and thanks for the warm welcome to the site. (Oh I almost forgot what the heck is this) Dan.

post-199-1200965522_thumb.jpg

post-199-1200965534_thumb.jpg

some type of colonial coral....very cool!!!!!! :lol:

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

i have ones from the missisipian, not sure if they are the same, mine are a bit worn but very similar structure and shape....

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Solius,

I agree the specimen is Lithostrotionella, but I think Lithostrotionella is a Rugose coral and not a Tabulata. See Moore, Lalicker and Fischer, Invervebrate Fossils, page 132.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

• Members

The above postings are correct and it's a colonial rugose coral.

The term 'Lithostrotionella' was revised in the early 1980's by Bill Sando ( I did some work for him) and reassigned into other genera such as Stelechophylum, Kleopatrina, etc. The revisions are avilable in the Journal of Paleontology (available at university librairies).

Re: a referral by jkfoam above. I heartlily endorse any fossil nut getting a copy of the the book jkfoam recommends:

Invervebrate Fossils by Moore, Lalicker and Fischer

This is the 'bible' geology students used for a couple of decades. It's an excellent textbook but, even more important, it is the foundation book what many geologists use. It's not so much 'the best' book (although i think it is) as much as it is 'the' book. Think of it as the equivalent of Microsoft in operating systems...one could argue there are better systems but you need to know M.S. to have conversations with fellow computer geeks. The book has been around a long time and there should be plenty of used copies.

The above postings are correct and it's a colonial rugose coral.

The term 'Lithostrotionella' was revised in the early 1980's by Bill Sando ( I did some work for him) and reassigned into other genera such as Stelechophylum, Kleopatrina, etc. The revisions are avilable in the Journal of Paleontology (available at university librairies).

<snip>

I've thought of this "door-stop" specimen as Hexagonaria or Prismatophyllum (another rugose colonial coral) until I saw this thread. Does this appear to be Lithotrotionella? I have no collecting data.

----Harry Pristis

post-42-1201042531_thumb.jpg

post-42-1201042636_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I've thought of this "door-stop" specimen as Hexagonaria or Prismatophyllum (another rugose colonial coral) until I saw this thread. Does this appear to be Lithotrotionella? I have no collecting data.

----Harry Pristis

Yours looks much better than mine can you give me some suggestions on cleaning off the dirt and mold. Thanks...Dan

Harry,

To me the biggest visual difference between the Genus Hexagonaria and Lithostrotionella is that Hexagonaria lacks a sharp upward projection (Axial boss) in the center of the corallite. The specimen you pictured shows the upward projection and I would call it Lithostrotionella. Also to consider is the geologic horizon where your specimen was found. Hexagonaria is mainly a Devonian fossil while Lithostrotionella is Mississippian

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Harry,

To me the biggest visual difference between the Genus Hexagonaria and Lithostrotionella is that Hexagonaria lacks a sharp upward projection (Axial boss) in the center of the corallite. The specimen you pictured shows the upward projection and I would call it Lithostrotionella. Also to consider is the geologic horizon where your specimen was found. Hexagonaria is mainly a Devonian fossil while Lithostrotionella is Mississippian

JKFoam

Thank you, jkfoam!

Dan . . .

You could use a pressure-washer (at a low setting) to clean up your coral. You do run the risk to blowing it to smithereens if there are unseen fissures. An air-abrasive machine is the preferred clean-up tool.

---------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest solius symbiosus

The Appalachian Plateau is Carboniferous. Some of the thrusts on the eastern side have pushed up some other stuff, but I'm not that familiar with the Geology of that area.

Right on! The Cumberland is a little strange because exposures can range from Silurian - Mississippian.

Sorry Dan - you would have to be more specific in the collecting location to nail down probable age and species :)

Guest solius symbiosus

From the map, it looks like Clay Co has every thing from Ord to Miss, but since it came from a hill top, I would assume Miss.