Can Anyone Id This?

missouriherpetology

• New Members

Hey, I'm new to collecting fossils and I found a few recently, the first seems to have multiple things in the rock kind of looking like some kind of animal, then I found what appears to be fossilized snake skin and the last one I don't know what it is, any help would be great! :

100_1671.jpg

100_1676.jpg

100_1673.jpg

100_1677.jpg

Skin:

100_1652.jpg

100_1653.jpg

100_1665.jpg

It looks like the first, second, third and seventh pictures are Cephalopods (relatives of the Squids). The fourth and fifth pics look like a coral or bryozoan. Can't tell what the third pic is.

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The first few are cephalopods, imagine a straight shelled squid. Not sure about the others, but someone here should know, and I'm curious myself as to what they are. Here's a cephalopod I found from the Ordovician in Ontario

post-77-1243713302_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

That is some really old rock you're working with, much older than snakes. The sea floor you are walking on was full of strange life 400 or 500 million years ago! Ain't fossils cool? :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks like the first, second, third and seventh pictures are Cephalopods (relatives of the Squids). The fourth and fifth pics look like a coral or bryozoan. Can't tell what the third pic is.

agree with shamalama, cephalopods and probably bryozoa

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

A pretty piece to be sure. Good job!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hi! i am also from St. Louis and am familiar with greensfelder park. I have found bryozoans, cephalopods, and brachiopods there. I have also found arrowheads there in some of the creeks. It has been years since i collected there.

Google orthoceras, for info on the cephalopods, these were the apex predator of their time. Some have been reported to reach 20 feet in length, I have seen 5-6 footers in Perry county, about 90 miles south of St. Louis. I would guess that the rock formation you are in in the Plattin, which would make it Ordovician in age. but I am not real familiar with you Northerner's material.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Another herper... nice :P

I suppose it's a natural progression that those of us that grow up learning about dinosaurs as kids become obsessed with living reptiles, and then "circle of life", right back to fossils.

Nice finds!

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

Your "skin" specimens (pictures 4 and 5) are cross-sections of Recepticulites. Most of the others are straight-shelled cephalopods, you can see the chambers (camerae) clearly. The first picture is an actinocerid nautiloid, possibly either Armenoceras or Actinoceras. Hope this helps,

Don