Perhaps Off Topic - Early Homonid Tools?

Pitviper

So ...EDIT: deleted... has some hand axes that are reputedly made by Homo ergaster. Does anyone know how this claim can be authenticated? How would one know even roughly when such an artifact was made? There seems to be signs of erosion, but how hard would that be to fake? I really don't know? Does anyone here have any experience or insight they can offer on the subject of paleo tools?

Much appreciated,

Bryan Duggan

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

...EDIT: deleted... has a solid reputation; I'm guessing that the context of the artifact's site of collection plays a big roll in dating them. "Harry Pristis" has some wonderful old artifacts; maybe he will weigh in with some more substantial information.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As was stated ...EDIT: deleted... has a flawless reputation, each of their specimens are authenticated before and after they receive them. They are also one of the leading dealers who teach and make people aware about fraud. Most of these items had probably come out of an Anthropologists personal collection or possibly bought in museum auction.

So ...EDIT: deleted... has some hand axes that are reputedly made by Homo ergaster. Does anyone know how this claim can be authenticated? How would one know even roughly when such an artifact was made? There seems to be signs of erosion, but how hard would that be to fake? I really don't know? Does anyone here have any experience or insight they can offer on the subject of paleo tools?

Much appreciated,

Bryan Duggan

Bryan,

Homo ergaster was the Homo erectus species scientifically attributed to Africa during the Lower Paleolithic period where Acheulian tools are dated to. The tools we sell for this period, for example, have a fundamentally obvious typology for this period and therefor no other human type was around yet to have made it. Every specimen we sell can be sent to a third party authenticator or museum for confirmation of its date attribution and typology.

For more examples, see:

http://worldmuseumofman.org/acheuliannafricahandaxes1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheulian

John McNamara

• 1 month later...

Hi John,

Thank you for this information. I'm brandy new to the world of fossil and paleo artifact collecting, and so I have to ask all the basic questions.

I've quickly realized that there's a very short list of sellers with your solid reputation. So if I understand you correctly, the #1 most important indicator is the tool design? That red jasper hand axe (ACH-106) is just calling my name, it's beautiful, but I have some major expenses and a trip coming up so hopefully it'll be available when I get back.

Thank you for your reply.

Ps - I didn't know/realize it was taboo to mention sellers by name on the forum, I'll keep that in mind for the future :)

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."