Aurora Micro Fossil Id Please!

sweeneyb

Had some more time today to go through the giant pile of dirt I brought back from Aurora and need most of them ID. Thanks in advance!

post-502-1243732254_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243732266_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243732276_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243732287_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243732307_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243732317_thumb.jpg

post-502-1243732328_thumb.jpg

Try Elasmo.com and see what you can come up with. #6 looks to be a Hemipristis serra symphyseal tooth, the rest you can probably ID yourself from that website

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Try Elasmo.com and see what you can come up with. #6 looks to be a Hemipristis serra symphyseal tooth, the rest you can probably ID yourself from that website

I tried to ID the teeth using Elasmo but didnt have too much luck its a lot harder with the smaller teeth lol.

Yes, Iding teeth especially the smaller ones takes lots of practice and work. I have been collecting for years and I still have some groups of teeth that are labeled things such as "Sand Tiger like". Depending on tooth position,wear and possible pathological differences some teeth you may never be able to ID positively. Here is a link to a "key" for IDing Shark teeth. I hope it helps.

http://paleobiology.si.edu/pdfs/sharktoothKey.pdf

Here goes nothing then. #1- I dunno, #2 are Carcharhinus, maybe C. macloti, #3 Rhizoprioinodon acutus, #4 could be a lot of species, #5 I think is the Hemi symphyseal, # 6 Galeocerdo aduncus, #7 looks to be too worn for an accurate ID. It would help if you put something in the pictures as a size reference

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

For what it is worth, I agree with Northern on all his IDs, adding #4 is possibly a C. catticus. I would like to see more pics of #1, is appears to be a portion of a fish jaw, but not like any I have seen before.

After further study (involving asking the person with the most C. catticus I know), it appears that number 4 might be a reticulata, since catticus do not have double side cusps. Thanks Mako Mama!

After further study (involving asking the person with the most C. catticus I know), it appears that number 4 might be a reticulata, since catticus do not have double side cusps. Thanks Mako Mama!

So #4 is a Odontaspis reticulata? Ill upload more pictures of #1 tonight.

Attached is a picture of number 1 again. Hopefully these photos work.

post-502-1244153256_thumb.jpg

post-502-1244153271_thumb.jpg

post-502-1244153283_thumb.jpg

It might just be my lousy monitor, but that doesn't look so much like teeth in a jaw as a serrated pincher or annelid jaw of some sort.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Does it resemble any shell material? It looks like it might be a small fragment of shell possibly around the outer edge of a bivalve.

The teeth are only on the one side, unless the other side is damaged. That would rule out a stingray spine

i was going with shell when i first saw this but now im not sure, its either shell or fish. Its not a tail barb

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

The teeth are only on the one side, unless the other side is damaged. That would rule out a stingray spine

I've got a number of highly eroded specimens from Belgium, also "teeth" on only one side but those spines are a lot more eroded than this thing.

The other side seems to be damaged. Might be piece of a shell.

Better pictures will clear things up.