Summerville Gomphothere

sharkdentist

I found this Gomphothere tooth last summer along with a good friend of mine Jim Cook in Summerville S.C and it has been seen in my avatar photo of me holding it at a show. I was able to get some close up pics of the tooth today and decided to post it for you guys to enjoy. I also showed this tooth to a expert in Gomphotheres who stated this tooth was patho due to the enamel rolling in instead of out man I love this tooth....

post-1253-1243746823_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1243746832_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1243746840_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1243746849_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1243746865_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1243746880_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1243746892_thumb.jpg

Sweet! Awesome find!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

That's a wonderful fossil; fascinating really.

Which set of pics is closest to the actual colors?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a wonderful fossil; fascinating really.

Which set of pics is closest to the actual colors?

The first set of pictures.

yea that is one awesome tooth, i hope i can find one fossiling one day

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I love gomph teeth. So what exactly do you mean by the "enamel rolling"?

Nick

the enamel at the end of the tooth rolls inward instead of outward with the wear pattern I will let you know something Weds or thursday about your gomph tooth I just need to get in touch with my friend

post-1253-1243823372_thumb.jpg

the enamel at the end of the tooth rolls inward instead of outward with the wear pattern I will let you know something Weds or thursday about your gomph tooth I just need to get in touch with my friend

I don't see anything pathological about this tooth. What exactly are you talking about?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I found one at GMR here in North Carolina, but it was rather roughed up coming from the bottom of the creek bed. Still a rare find that I

treasure.

-greel

post-102-1243916373_thumb.jpg

post-102-1243916406_thumb.jpg

I found one at GMR here in North Carolina, but it was rather roughed up coming from the bottom of the creek bed. Still a rare find that I

treasure.

-greel

that tooth is awesome can you take some pics of the top and bottom of the tooth.

that tooth is awesome can you take some pics of the top and bottom of the tooth.

Here is the top and bottom pics. Only a little piece of root left.

-greel

post-102-1243959825_thumb.jpg

post-102-1243959842_thumb.jpg

post-102-1243959871_thumb.jpg

treasure.

-greel

Greel . . . What you have there is a tooth from a mammutid, probably an American mastodon.

This elephant belongs to Family MAMMUTIDAE, an entirely different family from the gomphotheres of Family GOMPHOTHERIIDAE.

The enamel of a gomphothere tooth wears into a trefoil outline. The enamel of a mammutid tooth wears into the outline of an oval or an ogive which gets wider with increased wear. Note the trefoil or clover-leaf outline on 'sharkdentist's tooth and on the worn tooth below.

post-42-1243964452_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Greel . . . What you have there is a tooth from a mammutid, probably an American mastodon.

This elephant belongs to Family MAMMUTIDAE, an entirely different family from the gomphotheres of Family GOMPHOTHERIIDAE.

The enamel of a gomphothere tooth wears into a trefoil outline. The enamel of a mammutid tooth wears into the outline of an oval or an ogive which gets wider with increased wear. Note the trefoil or clover-leaf outline on 'sharkdentist's tooth and on the worn tooth below.

post-42-1243964452_thumb.jpg

Thanks Harry. I've had people tell me both ways. The enamel is so worn and broken off on my tooth that its hard

for me to determine if the pattern of wear is ovate or more complicated. But I will definately use your judgement as

how to label my tooth, henceforth.

-greel

Thanks Harry. I've had people tell me both ways. The enamel is so worn and broken off on my tooth that its hard

for me to determine if the pattern of wear is ovate or more complicated. But I will definately use your judgement as

how to label my tooth, henceforth.

-greel

I see what Harry is saying he is right but still any tooth like your tooth from the GMR is a awesome find and hard to come by unless you are a diver in a deep river........