I Need Help, Pleeease.

barefootgirl

Hi, everyone this is Barefoots daughter littlefoot. I went down in a creek today with my mom and found some stuff and I wasn't even looking for things. I was trying to catch minnows. Mom didn't find much of anything HEHEHE and she ended up forgetting it and leaving it there! Anyway, Mom said the two little brown things looked like turtle shell but she didn't know what the half round thing was or the pretty little metallic things were either. She tried her best to get the metallic tube thingy out in one piece but it just kept falling apart. It was in some really hard rock and was in the shape of a tube. It has a lot of pretty colors in it like gold and green and has crystals right in the middle. We found some more like it but it was not round or shaped like a tube. Mom said it could have been fossils that were replace by some type of mineral, but what she wasn't sure. She said she had seen it before but couldn't remember where ( she is getting old). Could someone here try and help me figure out what I found today, please!!

post-1082-1243908077_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1243908257_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1243908318_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1243908405_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1243908562_thumb.jpg

Above picture mom says it looks like it has cell structure and might be a coral or plant, but she is not sure.

Below is what Mom thinks is turtle.

post-1082-1243908678_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1243908770_thumb.jpg

post-1082-1243908225_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

The shiny looks to be Pyrite, maybe?

That's what mom said but she was not sure. I was hoping it was gold but she said not in our part of TX. Thank you for trying to help though.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Okay, that rat is no longer getting to post on this site. I am not getting old!! I did find some cool stuff today but I left it for tomorrow when I go back.

Alfred North Whithead

I was thinking mica but it does look like pyrite, depends if it's goldish in color.

I have no clue about the crystals and I think the brown pieces could be parts of a turtle.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I was thinking mica but it does look like pyrite, depends if it's goldish in color.

I have no clue about the crystals and I think the brown pieces could be parts of a turtle.

It does look like gold somewhat but has green and red in it some. the crystals are in the middle and are probably calcite.

Alfred North Whithead

This is littlefoot! Does anyone know what the half round thingy might be?

Alfred North Whithead

Nice finds you two! I bet your eyes are just as good as your Moms by now! She is gettin kinda old :o

Did you bring the walker down to the creek ,so mom could at least participate a little???? :P

Nice finds you two! I bet your eyes are just as good as your Moms by now! She is gettin kinda old :o

Did you bring the walker down to the creek ,so mom could at least participate a little???? :P

Your dead!!!!!!!!!!

Alfred North Whithead

Your dead!!!!!!!!!!

Now you know that you are supposed to watch what you say on line!!!!!!!!

Something like your mine A****** would be more appropriate :D:D

Well...she's not that old.....actually....yeah....she's pretty old.

Is that a cast net in your hands??? Scavenging for finger mullets again are ya??

Well...she's not that old.....actually....yeah....she's pretty old.

You both wanna die don't you!!

Alfred North Whithead

Hey littlefoot, your half round sections with the cell-like structure are pieces of a really cool bi-valve called Durania. They actually grew into cone shaped cylinder (in colonies) with a little "cap" shell covering the hole. The other is probably a pyrite nodule, or a pyritized burrow. Good finds.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Littlefoot says thank you.

Alfred North Whithead

if not the walker aleast be carefull with the wheel chair and dont let it run into the creek. lol but nice finds............

if not the walker aleast be carefull with the wheel chair and dont let it run into the creek. lol but nice finds............

Okay, this is not pick on barefoot night! All of you responsible adults who congratulated Cierra on her find and help to identify them, many thanks. The rest of you are in trouble!

Alfred North Whithead

Okay, this is not pick on barefoot night! All of you responsible adults who congratulated Cierra on her find and help to identify them, many thanks. The rest of you are in trouble!

those are neet finds

glad that you to get to explore together and have fun

enjoy

Rhonda :faint:

i came saw drooled and collected

The boney pieces look like turtle shell scutes and the round pieces look like they might be some type of burrow that has been filled by pyrite or possibly bornite and/or chalcopyrite with a calcite center for extra flavor. The Durania section is interesting. I thought it was a piece of coral from the cell like structure.

I did not tell Cierra it was coral or anything about cell like structure. She mentioned the cell like structure to me and said it reminded her of what an onion skin looks like under the microscope. I told her the only thing I could tell her for sure is it wasn't an onion. :P

Thanks everyone for helping Cierra out. Were heading back out to the creek to explore some more. Wish us luck.

Alfred North Whithead

Yes, the fifth picture down looks very similar to the horned coral I get from Utah. Neat pieces.

post-1148-1243957906_thumb.jpg

www.olddeadthings.com

Looks like this with this inside. :)

Hey, that's my hammer!! Oh no, hang on, that's yours.............um can I borrow that for a year or two? It's not like your gonna actually ever need it anyway. :D

Alfred North Whithead

The boney pieces look like turtle shell scutes and the round pieces look like they might be some type of burrow that has been filled by pyrite or possibly bornite and/or chalcopyrite with a calcite center for extra flavor. The Durania section is interesting. I thought it was a piece of coral from the cell like structure.

I'm leaning a bit toward Chalcopyrite on that one piece. If it has kind of a metalic orange cast to it besides the rainbow effect that is the likely one. Pyrite or Marcasite will look more yellowish to greenish. The one with the "rust" stain on it is most certainly Pyrite.

I have collected several fossil pieces from Texas (mostly Brachs) and often the pyrite is very unstable and breaks down to a dust. Happily it looks like it is not the case with those. Keep them dry. :)

Be true to the reality you create.