Big Brook Nj

Pitviper

Found this in Big Brook NJ this weekend. My inclination is part of a crocodile osteoderm but that's a complete guess. Anyone know?

553341533_wmKCf-L.jpg

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

Need a size, or something for scale.

If it's as small as it seems (compared to the wood grain), it resembles (A) shark cartilage? (B) pycnodont mouth plate?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow cool, I love finding something new!! It's about 1x1cm. I'm kind of a beginner, but I didn't think cartilage fossilized readily? Is this uncommon?

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

Wow cool, I love finding something new!! It's about 1x1cm. I'm kind of a beginner, but I didn't think cartilage fossilized readily? Is this uncommon?

ive only found a few pieces throughout the years..so id say fairly uncommon.

The cartilage needs to be a special type which is calcified. Most of the calcified cartilage probably comes from sawfish rostrums. Angel Sharks also have calcified cartilage around their vertebrae. Its not wildly uncommon to find, but most pieces, due to its fragile, nature break down quickly once loose in the streambed.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---