Claw?

KeithLaughinghouse

UPDATED--I need help to ID what my kid found breaking rocks. We found some shell fossils and other known stuff but did not know what this was. It was found in Craven Co, NC. Also, it needs to be cleaned, and I am working on that. Click on pic to enlarge... I looked the area up and it sits dead on the line between the Orangeburg Scarp and the Suffolk Scarp. ( 2 million - 125k)

post-1637-1244160084_thumb.jpg

"Attitude is the difference between an adventure and an ordeal"

Were they collected from the Shell landing site on the Neuse River?

From Flanners Beach...??

From Flanners Beach...??

Sorry thats what I meant, Flanners Beach. Was there a lot to be found there? What mostly is there

Sorry thats what I meant, Flanners Beach. Was there a lot to be found there? What mostly is there

It appears your last sentence was cut off...? we found a few things, but did not stay long. We plan to go back. And i found some suggestions on how to clean it, I will try that tonight.

Awesome find! Looks like some kind of raptor claw....Dromaeosaurus or Oviraptor Claw maybe? whatever it is....it's pretty cool!

Keith,

I would very much like to see more pictures of this item; same quality but from all angles. Thanks :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I soaked it in vinegar with no luck. I am going to try a drill cleaner today. I will try to get more pics this evening.

If you soaked in vinegar (AKA acetic acid) for some time, if it was bone, you will have to notice how it cleaned it. I think probably some invert material, such as internal mold of a gastropod, or something like that...

If you soaked in vinegar (AKA acetic acid) for some time, if it was bone, you will have to notice how it cleaned it. I think probably some invert material, such as internal mold of a gastropod, or something like that...

I soaked it over night, is that long enough? And it looks like there is debris on a surface that has a sheen to it.. ?

I soaked it over night, is that long enough? And it looks like there is debris on a surface that has a sheen to it.. ?

I was wrong on the date, I edited it, see above. Thank you .

looks to me like an internal mould of a crab claw or something.

It does have a twist in the thing that is hard to see in the pic- like a lobster claw. It does not have the ridges that most claws have...? I am trying to get more pics. Thanks.