Big Brook Tooth Id

Andrew Leahey

the grey one on the left is shark, with the root worn down. the right is either mosasaur or crocodillian. hard to tell without holding it in my hand.

I'd like to see a different view, but the one on the right looks like the end of a crab claw to me.

Coloration is independent of identification.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

it looks like there is some matrix still attached to the tooth if thats why your saying crab claw. I would add fish tooth, I have seen some big ones from big brook.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Well, it appears to be solid, and roughly round in cross-section. If so, we can rule out crab claw.

It also appears not to exhibit an enamel shell over a dentin core; without this feature, it is hard to call it a tooth. Can you post a close-up of the "base", to see whether this is so?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yea im not sure what to call it now...

Its hard to tell from that photo but there is definitely a channel where it looks like a root would have been. Will try to get an image of the underside.

3599630712_a5dc9a1abe.jpg

I'm sorry its not clear, its darn near impossible to get a clear photo of such a small item.

i still say croc. the red coloration is from the iron in the water. ive found lots of teeth in big brook that are red in color. here's a red shark tooth from big brook...

DSC01709.jpg

i dont honestly think it's a mosasaur due to it's shape, and croc teeth are more common.

Yeah, the tip of a croc tooth is now my leading candidate.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!