NO ROCKS FOR U !

goat

Walking back to my vechical today l had 5 rocks all about the size of donuts...I was stopped by mnr and they told me "You are not allowed to take any rocks out of the river" So i asked "lf i should put them back?   Trying to avoid a ticket...They were both laid back and said "Ya just put them back"  Sooo the moral of the story is....

I had a similar experience with Fish and Game wardens here.  A buddy and I do occasional rockhounding on our local beach and sometimes bring home some black sands to pan out for gold. One evening on the way back to the car we were met by two officers who proceeded to check our backpacks and pat us down. We are still not sure what it was they thought we had. Just some half buckets of sand and a few colorful rocks. No fishing gear or anything else that would indicate the taking of animals. We told them about gold in the beach sand and that we weren't going to get rich working it and they let us go about our way.  

By the way, they informed us rock collecting is just fine with a limit of 15 pounds in one day. I guess this is how they see preventing collection for commercial means. For any of you that rock hound, it doesn't take much to reach your 15 pounds.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

So where and on what river did this happen?  I lived in Ottawa for several years and collected at sites along the Ottawa and Bonnechere Rivers at several places, some of which I still check on when I'm in town to visit family, and never had any problems like you describe.  

Don

MNR= Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry. 

Basically, Park Rangers. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Was this in a park?  Perhaps you don't realize it, but you're being kind of cryptic.  I'm genuinely curious as I have a couple of places along the river where I have found decent fossils, and I have never even seen a MNR officer.  I'm not disputing your story at all, I just would like to know if things have changed and I need to be more careful next time I'm in Ottawa and go out to collect. 

Don