Any Fossils Around Collingwood, On / Blue Mountain?

Fossil Raccoon

I will be taking the Momma Raccoon and the Kiddie Raccoons to Blue Mountain/Collingwood ON and just wondering if there are some places around where we could do a little fossil hunting.

I only know of the Craigleith area and that is mostly private property or provincial park. No collecting allowed

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I will be taking the Momma Raccoon and the Kiddie Raccoons to Blue Mountain/Collingwood ON and just wondering if there are some places around where we could do a little fossil hunting.

Thanks, Shark.

We'll do just some good ol' style hiking then.

Did the trip and at the end was able to do some hunting, too. Well, not in the traditional sense as all the fossils were in the Scenic Caves park and in the parking lot as part of the landscaping, so I collected some photos of them.

I am sure the rocks with the greenish edged fossils in the parking lot were not native to the place. They must have been brought in during the construction from some other location.

Also learned a very important lesson, such as never go out without a brush (will loose less nails while trying to scratch the dirt off of the fossils) and some play dough (to take the cast).

These are some of the pics. Sorry for the blurry ones. I am not very handy with Momma Raccoon's camera :D

The little chipped round thingy on the photos is a Canadian penny (covered in salt and been run over a few times) just for comparing the size of the fossils.

post-1658-1244343624_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1244343709_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1244344418_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1244344496_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1244344523_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1244344558_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1244344771_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1244344896_thumb.jpg

post-1658-1244344924_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of taking moulds of fossils that cannot be extracted for one reason or another; what better way to document one's extensive collection of in-situ fossils!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Does anyone have an idea where the "greenish" fossils could come from?

I really liked them and might want one for home.

Does anyone have an idea where the "greenish" fossils could come from?

I really liked them and might want one for home.

im gonna go out on a limb, and say either copper or glauconite? grab one for me too please! lol.

im gonna go out on a limb, and say either copper or glauconite? grab one for me too please! lol.

I most certainly will. Just need to find out where they are originated from. These were in the parking lot in a large piece of rock as part of the landscaping and apparently brought in from somewhere else. The fossils I saw in the "native" rocks looked like the ones on the first three photos.

I have never seen fossils with that green tinge at any locality I've been to in Ontario, but then again, I've also never been anywhere near Collingwood collecting.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I have never seen fossils with that green tinge at any locality I've been to in Ontario, but then again, I've also never been anywhere near Collingwood collecting.

The rocks with the green ones looked quite different than the rocks I saw in the area in general. But heck knows, and anyway I myself is a bit "green" in this.

Nevertheless, I'm going to do some research on the internet. Perhaps something will pop up. I really liked those greenees.

BTW, do you happen to know any collecting site within 2-3 hours of drive from Toronto with some easy-grab fossils that is also enjoyable for young kids?