Hike To Portland Point Quarry - Lansing, Ny

aagreene

Headed out to the Portland Point Limestone Quarry this past weekend. We parked at Teeter Road and hiked down Gulf Creek to check out the Limestone and Shale formations. It's a pretty cool walk with more than enough geological features and fossils to keep you busy. I've attached a few photos and some links to general site info.

Cornell University Webpage about Portland Point and its geology:

http://www.geo.cornell.edu/geology/classes.../gulf/index.htm

Google Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...038452&z=15

Could use some help figuring out what these features are for sure.

quartzlike_intrusion.jpg : within some of the rock we broke apart there was an occurrence of this muscovite looking mineral/substance. We found this on the streambed of Gulf Creek.

colonial_coral.jpg : We found this also resting on the streambed. The only thing we could come up with was some sort of colonial coral - owing to what appeared to be individual cell structure.

dinosaur_egg.jpg : Occasionally along the walls of Gulf Creek we would find these structures. They were harder and rounder than the surrounding shale matrix. We jokingly called them dinosaur eggs.

post-949-1244472513_thumb.jpg

post-949-1244472544_thumb.jpg

post-949-1244472567_thumb.jpg

I could be jumping the gun, but the "egg' could be a concretion. I know alot of guys on here make realy cool fossils out of them :P

I dont find any concretions here in Florida so I'm probably totaly wrong.

Dan

PS. Welcome to the forum!

Guest solius symbiosus

^^Yeah, it is most likely a concretion or a chert nodule. Can you get better pics of the other two? The coral appears to be a tabulate, but need better pics.

^^Yeah, it is most likely a concretion or a chert nodule. Can you get better pics of the other two? The coral appears to be a tabulate, but need better pics.

Thanks for the reply. I checked my camera and these photos are about the best I can do. Let me know if they help.

Thanks,

Aaron

post-949-1245070216_thumb.jpg

post-949-1245070276_thumb.jpg

post-949-1245070336_thumb.jpg

post-949-1245070386_thumb.jpg