Things That Make You Go Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Uncle Siphuncle

So I'm out in SoCal prospecting for fossils after work each night, and last night I looked at a beach cliff south of Torrey Pines State Park. It was an odd collecting experience. First of all, when I got there there were people hang gliding over the cliff catching thermals and hovering mid air for 30-45 minutes at a time - pretty cool actually. Then the cliff was breathtakingly huge. It may have been 500-600 feet of nearly vertical relief. It was a bit of a workout going down then back up the stairs, the most climbing I've ever done while fossil hunting. I worked the base of the cliff looking for stuff and turned up a few gastropods. Now here is where things got interesting....I walked the waterline on the way back and realized it was a nude beach! There was an attractive blonde lady about 30 doing calisthenics about 30 feet in front of me who was not in the least bit shy about her God-given attributes - any of them. After pulling my eyes off of all this I decided it was time to attack the stairs and just get the heck out of this place, but I thought about telling her that her shoe was untied, and maybe inviting her fossil collecting......only in Cali!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

And here I thought the Peace River was the best possible hunting experience available. Your story has inspired me. :D

So I'm out in SoCal prospecting for fossils after work each night, and last night I looked at a beach cliff south of Torrey Pines State Park. It was an odd collecting experience. First of all, when I got there there were people hang gliding over the cliff catching thermals and hovering mid air for 30-45 minutes at a time - pretty cool actually. Then the cliff was breathtakingly huge. It may have been 500-600 feet of nearly vertical relief. It was a bit of a workout going down then back up the stairs, the most climbing I've ever done while fossil hunting. I worked the base of the cliff looking for stuff and turned up a few gastropods. Now here is where things got interesting....I walked the waterline on the way back and realized it was a nude beach! There was an attractive blonde lady about 30 doing calisthenics about 30 feet in front of me who was not in the least bit shy about her God-given attributes - any of them. After pulling my eyes off of all this I decided it was time to attack the stairs and just get the heck out of this place, but I thought about telling her that her shoe was untied, and maybe inviting her fossil collecting......only in Cali!

Fossil collecting DOES pay dividends!!!

Another highly qualified associate...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:D

I'm guessing I won't have the same experience in Pennsylvania this weekend.

Only if you count camouflage and rifles to be part of the normal accouterments. ;)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

You never know what you will find while fossil hunting. It looks like anything is possible.

Do I hear "Fossil Forum Field Trip"!!!!

I think that I was at that same beach a few years back. I'll go!!!!!!!!! :P:P:PB)B)B):D

post-23-1244678796_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

One problem.......not many fossils......

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

LOL! That would be 'Black's Beach'. Favorite hangout for the UCSD kids. :-)

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

Is that a baculite in your pocket?

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

ok, wait, dan. you failed to keep your attention focused on the ground at your feet, AND you met a local and didn't ask where the good fossil hunting could be found? you are so losing your focus in midlife. johnj, is this your fault somehow?

i bet the woman was dancing around in pain from stepping on piles of shark teeth, and you didn't go over and check. sheesh.

:faint:

you should have told her you were hunting fossil wood, and then asked her if she'd like to see some! :P

:faint:

Just goes to show that there are some things you don't have to wait to be fossilised before you can appreciate them!

Be true to the reality you create.