Latest Prep Job

Terry Dactyll

Heres a Coroniceras Ive had on the go and just finished..... I'd shelved it as I thought I may need to get someone to air abraid a section of it as the ribs were getting very close together and its been sat half finished for a few months..... I thought why pay someone and I got a magnifier and an arrow pen and dealt with it...This has given me confidence to start a new one Ive found....I found a new double recently which is two of these and Ive just started it..... I'll post a photo when its finished...

According to the (Genesis of The Arietidae by Alpheus Hyatt) It looks like Coroniceras. Gmuendense....

post-1630-1244746289_thumb.jpg post-1630-1244746314_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Guest N.AL.hunter

Your stuff is really beautiful. Just how many ammonites do you have!! My guess..... enough to send to Alabama :D

That is beautiful; you are a true artiste and maestro!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That is awesome. Did you polish it to that color?

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Cheers Guys & Mommabetts.....Thanks for your kind words....am glad you can appreciate what Ive put into them....

N.AL.hunter..... Too many already theres no hope for me.........

bigjohn835....... Theres a very thin calcite shell on some the lias ammonites which gives ' nice sharp preservation'.... probably why I like them and if you polish it up and put clear wax on they come out like that with the colours as nature intended..... Unfortunately on most of the Coroniceras the centres are missing, crushed during the fossilisation process so i have to carve those into the rock where i find where the ammonite stops and match them up to the colour of the calcite, but its an acceptable restoration i feel to create such a show stopper and finish the job...... although im sure the purists would'nt approve....

fig rocks..... Funny you should say that..... no...... lol.... But..... I did swop one I have prepped for unprepped material, with the Idea the guy would get his money when he sells it.... it sat on his fireplace for 6 months and only recently he wants to sell it.... If your intrested I can send you some details on his behalf.... But part of the trade was a double Coroniceras I had been after for quite a while, I could see its 'unprepped potential'.... and it needed to be brought back to life.... so i had to let one go to start the deal off, heres some pictures of it for you to enjoy if you like ammonites....

Theres a mobile phone to the left of the ammonites in the first picture for scale

post-1630-1244795200_thumb.jpg post-1630-1244795227_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1244795255_thumb.jpgpost-1630-1244795281_thumb.jpg

These are the types of fossils that quickened my pulse and fired my imagination as a boy. My favorite book was Fenton and Fenton, and images of the illustrations are now resurfacing from my subconscious, 45 years later. Thank you! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Wowwwwwww!!!!!!!! mind blowing, beautiful, magnificent, Thank you for sharing your collection! :)

Cheers guys...... That took me about 90 hours If I remember right....I have a lot of stuff to prep besides whats in my collection..... I will let you see stuff as I do it.......

Hey TD. May I ask what tool/s you used to prep that? Seems rather large for an airscribe?

RB

RJB.... Thanks for your intrest.....Pretty much an CP airscribe for most of it yes...... I cube the rock with a rock saw for bulk matrix removal, but you can only go so far with that..... maybe an air chisel and hand chisel here and there.....They dont take kindly to being rushed as the calcite shell is only mm's thick so its very slow painstaking work uncovering sometimes only 3-4 ribs over a prep session.....Most of the ones you see for sale that other guys prep are painted finish as they have bust the ribs all the time getting them out and end up filling them and disguising the repair..... Mine are polished natural calcite finish..... any prep defects would be visible so i have to be extra careful.....I dont think you could prep to that standard commercially and make a living.... its stuff for your own collection.... you obviously want it the best it can be.....

I found one for sale over your side.... heres a link....make sure you use the magnifying feature on the fossils....

http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item....mp;ts=off#Photo

Heres the latest mining operation complete.... Im not to stuck on it to be honest as the shell wasnt calcite and hence couldnt be polished and its lucky it got finished and not skimmed lol.... I may trade this at a later date for something I want down south..... I came across a couple of calcified brachiopods whilst digging and I was able to extract them from the rock maintain the holes in the design of the rock where they pinged from and stuck em back in when id finished....

I think they are Calcirhynchia calcaria....

post-1630-1245424614_thumb.jpg post-1630-1245424566_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1245424596_thumb.jpg

Rendering the prepped matrix in such a smoothly sinuous manner is a real enhancement, and the brachs are nice little surprises for the roving eye. Beautiful work!

Guest N.AL.hunter

You are right. Horrible looking specimens. They are not good enough for your collection. But.... they sure would look nice in mine!! :D

Thanks guys....

Ive a mountain of stuff to prep what I've collected.....I'll post the odd photo when something special turns up....now I know you like an ammonite or two ;)