Patho....

brachiomyback

I had some free time after a recent job in the Summerville, SC area to hunt some fossils and found my first ever "no doubt about it" pathological tooth (Chandler Bridge Formation).

Even thought it is one messed up snaggle of the tooth I know it is not a Hemipristis serra, possibly a Carcharhinus leucas?

The tooth made my trip....enjoy.

- Brad

post-986-1244749212_thumb.jpg

really nice tooth, where are you other finds? looked like you found a few great whites. I would mind seeing them

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Very nice! Too bad about that root :(

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Very nice! Too bad about that root :(

i think that thats the way the tooth should be, something about the tooth makes it seem that way

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Wow, could be a tough ID, but I think you're right about it being some sort of Carcharinus tooth, probably bull shark or C. longimanus maybe (because yours looks more heavily serrated than a bull shark to me). About the only other thing that I'd guess would be a pathological P. contortus or G. aduncus...maybe...or maybe not!

The elasmo.com pathological pics are pretty cool, their Carcharinus tooth looks like yours a lot except not as heavily serrated!

Awesome find, and your entire haul was pretty awesome too!

Kevin Wilson

I love pathologic teeth, and that one's a beauty. It likely is either a Carcharhinus leucas or C. obscurus. I will correct you though, in that the tooth was probably found in the Miocene Hawthorne Formation, also found in Summerville. The Chandler Bridge is Oligocene age and too early for Carcharhinus

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Fat Boy / Northern Shark..... I appreciate your ID opinions. Thanks!